first majestic junior walnut figure

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mjrbuzz

mjrbuzz

well here is my 4th pen hot off the press, please don't hesitate to let me know what i'm failin at or what to look for. sorry in advance for the photos, i tryed. i figured out i need a lil more sanding around the couplers and have a very few sanding marks left. so thats something to work on.

Attachments

• DSC_0454[1].jpg
    DSC_0454[1].jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 208
  • DSC_0459[1].jpg
    DSC_0459[1].jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 168
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BJohn

Really very good looking pen, really like the blank (Very Nice) The fit is spot on, but to me the finish looks a little cloudy. Maybe the lighting or the angle. Curious what kind of finish did you use. I personnaly like a very glossy finish. And to point were the light reflect;s from deep inside the finish.

mjrbuzz

I finished it with ca, i am working on better pictures, but the finish i coulda spent a lil more time on in hindsite. it is very clear and glossy but still need work on my finishing skillz. I'll try to post a better pic as soon as i can figure out how to take one :)

BJohn

If using Ca , How Many Coats? Did you M/M to 12000 ? And did you polish with a plastic polish? Straight Ca or did you mix with BLO?

By the way I liked the composition of the picture. Very Nice !

Last edited:

mjrbuzz

i don't have any micro mesh :( , its on my next order for sure! i put about 5 coats of med ca then sanded with 400, and 1500 wet dry paper. then used a automotive polishing compound to finish it off. Thank you very much for the input as i'm very new to pens and this type of finish.

BJohn

That fine we all have questions.

A lot of people use Ca differantly so there will be a ton of opinions.Here is what I do with my Ca. Sand my blank to 400 some time 600. 6 coats of thin Ca (don't think Med or Thin will make a differance). Then I use 600 to sand the roughness out of the Ca. Basicly knocking the ridges off. Sand likely till you see shinny areas. Then I will M/M all the up to 12000. Then six more coats of Ca. And repeat the sanding process but this time I bump the speed up to 2000rpm with M/M as you climb the grit latter you will see the shine start to pop. After I get done with the 12000 M/M I will use a plastic polish to get the remaining lines out you might be able to see them but they are there. Final step is a good coat of Renainse wax (not sure of spelling there) to help with finger prints.

There is another polishing technique I have heard of using white diamond but have not tried that yet.

Top Bottom