First long body pen.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from C. Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

C. Scott

After seeing Russ's single bodied pens I had to make one. A longer drill bit would make this pen easy to build. Suppliers are you listening??? ;) My daughter got this one which is Osage Orange.

2007129124733_osage-orange-longbody-1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kirkfranks

Originally posted by C. Scott
A longer drill bit would make this pen easy to build. Suppliers are you listening??? [;)]

You can get extended length bits from McMaster Carr www.mcmaster.com
They have both metric and letter bits as well as fractional.
They are not cheap by any means, but they are available. The J bit for instance is 12"long. Carbide bit too. #2854A471

Also I really like this pen. Really shows off the wood well.

C. Scott

Thanks for the comments folks! I just hope my potential customers will like the style as well.

Hey Kirk,

THANK YOU! for letting me know about McMaster. I just ordered a 7mm HSS "Taper Length" bit for $7.31. It's length is a little over 6" so it will do nicely [:)]

Chris,

Very nice pen...I like what you did with it.

There is a longer drill bit out there... I was drilling some acrylic yesterday and had the DP set too slow I think, anyway I locked my 7mm bit in a blank and wound up boogering up the shaft trying to free it.. just tossed it, leaving me without a 7mm drill... then discovered I had a brand new 7mm bit that is almost 2 inches longer than the one I tossed... problem is, I don't know where I got it.

longer drill bit is still problem, I only have about 2 in. travel on my DP quill.

C. Scott

Ozzy,

Sorry for the late response. I used a fancy slimline (nicer clip) kit and just cut the blank to the required length for that kit. Glued in the tube on one end, drilled, milled, turned and finished while I had the other tube in as a floater. Take off the mandrel and press in the parts. Finial and clip on the body and the tip and tranny into the "floater" tube. It really is that easy. [:D] I mean if I can do it anybody can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom