First Leather Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Band Saw Box

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
I was inspired by the leather blanks that Richard (panmaker56) had at the MAPG and thanks to a wrong turn while in Richmond, VA Evelyn and I found a leather shop and I bought two nice pieces of scrap leather. I talked with Richard about a finish and he suggested to burnish the leather, I ordered Agate burnisher but it never showed up. So for this one I used WFT. The kit is a Elegant Sierra from Exotic Blanks. This was a fun pen to do and I'm ready to try another. All C & C are welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 230
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

That's the 1st leather pen I remember seeing in awhile. Good job!

My wife has those wrong turns too, but they always seem to end up at a shoe store.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

OZturner

Great Pen, Dan.
Glorious Blank, Love the Alternating Contrast in the leather.
I could appreciate that the HSS may "cut" easier than the Carbide, and I would tend to select HSS.
Did you use, your HSS tools, or the Carbide?
Good choice of Kit.
Excellent Fit and Finish.
Congratulations,
Brian.

MIKL

well done Dan

that came up a treat

i have done a number of these to go with the journals that i make, i glue the pieces together with thin CA, and finish with a normal CA finish

the leather can be thirsty and will soak the CA in pretty well but that just makes it easier to turn

all the best

MIK

johncrane

Great job Dan! i like the contrast leather has on pens, i have used leather a lot on pens,i found on ebay hole punch sets, that are ok for cutting the outside Dia,still time consuming gluing all the disc together.but well worth it,with the finish look you get.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thank you MIK and John for your comments. On this blank I soaked the leather in a mix of Elders glue and water to stiffen up the leather. I don't use CA that much I really dislike the odor. I'm working on another idea....I'll post it if works out, I feel failure is option in blank making.

Top Bottom