First Le Roi

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from elkhorn

elkhorn

I purchased a number of the Le Roi Elegant Royales from Smitty when he had a big sale. This is the first of them. Wrapped in a quadruple dyed tiger maple and finished with Pens Plus.

I did notice that the tip of the refill does not extend as much as I'd like. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm using some of the Dyacom Parker style refills from the pens that I had upgraded to Schmidt.

C & C welcome.

Attachments

• Le Roi Elegant Royale.jpg
    Le Roi Elegant Royale.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 323
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
The Le Roi Elegant Royale, being a finial twist Pen, is not terribly forgiving on tube length being left a little too long or made a little too short. Also, if the end either end of the tube is not square you can see this.

BTW, I don't see any really good reason to change Dayacom branded refills, I think they're probably already made by Schmidt. They are at any rate from Germany, or at minimum the ink is.

Last edited:

elkhorn

Thanks, Smitty. It wasn't a criticism of your kits, just my not doing it right. Do you recommend squaring the ends (I use a sanding disk) so that the ends of the tube are just shiny, or do you think that would take it too far? I've got a bunch more to make and want to make sure I'm doing it correctly.

Thanks again.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Thanks, Smitty. It wasn't a criticism of your kits, just my not doing it right. Do you recommend squaring the ends (I use a sanding disk) so that the ends of the tube are just shiny, or do you think that would take it too far? I've got a bunch more to make and want to make sure I'm doing it correctly.

Thanks again.
I wasn't taking offence, just trying to pass on that single barrel finial operated ballpoints ALL tend to be a little unforgiving with respect to tup length. The Royale tip might not protrude as far as most others. Sanding them down until the tube ends are just shiny should be fine and yes you need to square the ends.

Cmiles1985

The transmission does press in on the Royale, correct? If so, can't you just press it in far enough to make the tip protrude to the right length? This is how I've been assembling the Royale since it doesn't seem the insert has threads for the transmission.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
The transmission does press in on the Royale, correct? If so, can't you just press it in far enough to make the tip protrude to the right length? This is how I've been assembling the Royale since it doesn't seem the insert has threads for the transmission.
Yes the transmission does press in to the sleeve (make sure the sleeve is fully seated too) and it should be carefully pressed in until it stops
which should leave very close to showing 11/16 in showing if the pen does not protrude enough you can press it a little more but you have to be careful if you press to hard you can bust something....

OZturner

John, You have me intrigued with your description of "quadruple dyed tiger maple"
But I don't if I am too tired, or is the Photograph, not quite in sharp focus?
I am having difficulty seeing the detail of the Blank, and your Fit and Finish.
Any chance of another Photograph, please?
Brian.

elkhorn

Brian, I'll try another photograph and try to get it sharper. The quadruple dye is a technique I have used on some of my bowls and platters. Spray the wood with denatured alcohol to open the pores, then apply your colors and sand between coats. In this case, I used purple, dark red, yellow and green in that order. I wouldn't do every pen like this because of the time, but I wanted to experiment with the piece of tiger maple I had.

Take care.

Gary Zakian

I compared the Le Roi Elegant and the Le Roi Elegant LB from Smitty's site. Excuse me if I sound ignorant, but am I correct that for either of these pens the band and black portion can be omitted and a continuous blank used? I have not turned either of these pens before, but the ability to show off more of the wood is appealing, especially with a finial twist pen that my customers like.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I compared the Le Roi Elegant and the Le Roi Elegant LB from Smitty's site. Excuse me if I sound ignorant, but am I correct that for either of these pens the band and black portion can be omitted and a continuous blank used? I have not turned either of these pens before, but the ability to show off more of the wood is appealing, especially with a finial twist pen that my customers like.
The quick answer to your question is Not easily. The tip is press fit into the 'black section' and the band is slipped on to the coupler that the black section screws into. The Refill is inserted from the bottom end and might not fit through a hole sized to take the tip.

Those are the features you will have to overcome to accomplish what you want to do. Can you do it? My guess is probably, but don't expect a simple 5 minute Job.

Gary Zakian

Thanks for the input Smitty. I only asked because the pen in the picture did not have the plastic bottom or the band, and I was thinking it might be fairly easy to do such a change.

elkhorn

Photo re-take for Brian

Hopefully this photo gets posted in the right place. This is another photo for Brian.

Thanks for your patience:)

Attachments

• Le Roi Re-take.jpg
    Le Roi Re-take.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 120

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Thanks for the input Smitty. I only asked because the pen in the picture did not have the plastic bottom or the band, and I was thinking it might be fairly easy to do such a change.
The Pen in the picture is a Le Roi Elegant Royale and comes just like it's pictured. With the Le Roi series people should use the whole name when referring to them.

OZturner

Thank you John, I can see it in all it's Beauty.
I can understand why you would not want to Quadruple Dye more Blanks, a lot of effort, and an increased risk of problems.
But Boy aren't they Magnificent.
Very well suited to the Le Roi.
I am so glad I asked for another Photograph, just look what I would have missed.
Again sincerely a Big THANK YOU.
Brian.

Top Bottom