First Laminated Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hrigg

Status
Not open for further replies.

hrigg

Ordinarily I don't like to bother people with my learning attempts, but I'm kind of pleased how this one turned out. It's three small pieces of cocobolo, oriented for end grain exposure, and two pieces of ash oriented for long grain, on a Woodcraft Sierra Kit.

pen3.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tanner

Very nice!! I doubt if I could ever get surfaces flat and flush enough with each other to be able to put something like together. What do you use for glue? You know just in case I want to try this a few years down the road.[V]

Ron Mc

Harry,
That looks to be a great learning experience! Nicely done. I'm looking forward to seeing where this one takes you next.

BigRob777

What Gary said. Also, I'd like to see at least one more view, as segmentation begs another angle. I love the contrast and the chattoyance. I don't like some segmented pens either, but this is very nice. I'm even getting ready to try one with bias-cut cut-offs and CB pieces. I'm not getting my hopes up, but I look forward to trying it.
Keep it up. I like the next size up for pics. At least the next size up on my computer. If it makes the page go beyond one screen, then it's too big though.
IMHO
Rob

hrigg

Thank you all for your kind words. Here is a close-up of the side opposite the clip. The glue up was done over about a week, in three stages. First I made the cocobolo block from three small scraps (which was all I had), then each diagonal was done as a seperate step, gluing the block back together each time. I used dark Titebond II and handsanded all the bandsaw marks off. 1 coat of thin CA glue at 320 grit, sanded off with a little mineral oil as a lubricant, then sanded through 12000 micromesh with a burnishing from a strip of brown paper bag as the last step, then a friction finish. I was kind of hoping I could have used copper fittings, but WC doesn't carry them.
pen3b.jpg

airrat

Harry nice job on it.

BTW I don't buy at woodcraft (unless there is a sale) due to there are much better deals out there. There are a number of pen kit suppliers on this site that can save you money. Woodcraft is a reseller/renamer of Berea kits. I might be wrong but I don't think I have seen any other brand of pens there. (someone correct me if I am) If you are looking for the copper ones you can try Arizona Silhouette or Bear tooth woods. Both of them have a great reputation. There are others too, do a search on vendors or pen kits. There have been alot of post on it.

Keep up the good work.

hrigg

Thanks, Folks.
I just put in an order with Beartooth yesterday. I was anxious to do this pen though, and there's a WC about two miles from me, so I bought what was available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom