First knoted Gentlemen pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Texatdurango

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texatdurango

After seeing what a fine job Mike did on his knotted pen, I just had to give it a try. With some encouraging words and a few tips from him, I'm doing a lot better than the first few attempts.

Constructive comments welcome.

George

Jr Gent with Blue maple burl and gold box elder burl knot.
2007662230_maple-knot1.jpg

20076622318_maple-knot2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

Originally posted by lwalden
<br />Nice work, George!! looks like you nailed those knots!! Hope to see this one in person soon[:D]
I'll bring it to Bubbasville in a couple weeks. I sorta got side tracked from the wave pens I wanted to start making, but now that my new scroll saw is in, I'll start playing with some designs.

Heck, I'll probably have a gob of new pens for show and tell, I got this package in the mail yesterday with some neat blanks inside. Can't wait to turn the cactus blank![:D]

See ya at Bubbasville!

George

Mark549

Hey George,
That's sweet. Can't wait to see it and learn how to do one. Please bring those closed-end amboynas, too - from that chunck you scored from John.

Mark

Texatdurango

Originally posted by Blind_Squirrel
<br />The workmanship looks supberb. From a style/layout standpoint I personally prefer to see the knot up higher.
Interesting... I really haven't seen but one or two so really don't have much to compare to. If anyone reading this has made a knot pen, I would appreciate a link to it to see some different designs.

On my next one, I'm using a thinner blade and changing the angles in hopes of making the knot wider and bands thinner.

George

Originally posted by Texatdurango
<br />
Originally posted by Blind_Squirrel
<br />The workmanship looks supberb. From a style/layout standpoint I personally prefer to see the knot up higher.
Interesting... I really haven't seen but one or two so really don't have much to compare to. If anyone reading this has made a knot pen, I would appreciate a link to it to see some different designs.

On my next one, I'm using a thinner blade and changing the angles in hopes of making the knot wider and bands thinner.

George

Look at the featured photo on the front page for a good example. Or here is the link to it in SOYP http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24914

Carlos

Another really awesome pen !!! Is there any instructions on how to make that knot somewhere ? That is a really beautiful pen !!!

- Carlos

Texatdurango

Originally posted by Carlos
<br />Another really awesome pen !!! Is there any instructions on how to make that knot somewhere ? That is a really beautiful pen !!!

- Carlos
Carlos, I have never seen anything as far as a tutorial or instructions on doing the knot. I just saw a few photos on this forum and started tinkering around and figured out how to do it. If you would like, I can jot down what I did and email it to you if that would help you.

George

davidrei

Originally posted by Texatdurango
<br />
Originally posted by davidrei
<br />Here's a tutorial on another site: http://tinyurl.com/36c5rt
Dave, I'd love to see the tutorial but your link doesn't pull up anything for me. Is there another URL?

George
Sorry, try this:
http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/YPBoRiXRU78DD6Y4F4Gve_2SgTRyNYAVjv-FCuak4_oPspnUFAOFfiNeeH6n7FJv0eF-FW7upigUTR6cI3GetAqRdpH8SHntoLaVfec/Special%20Techniques/DoubleCrossPen.pdf

GaryMGg

Dave,
<s>That'n doesn't work either. Maybe you can post the PDF somewhere and let us know where.</s>
Updated: I found the file and have uploaded it to a place where y'all can get a copy easily. I saw no restrictions in the file so as long as no one complains, it'll stay here.
Caveat Emptor -- The file is 775K (kinda large).
Right click the link and "Save As" if you want to download a copy to your local hard-drive:

http://user.gru.net/garyg-1/woodwork/DoubleCrossPen.pdf

Cheers,
Gary

Texatdurango

Wow, I got a ton of emails and PM's with lots of questions as to how the knot is made. While I am the farthest thing from being an authority, having made only five of these pens now, I thought I would at least share what I learned.

I noticed the above post points to a helpful link but I decided to continue with my experience because I think it adds a few more words than the other. Hopefully it will help those looking for answers.

My thoughts live here.... http://www.georgeandsirik.com/knot-tutorial.html

George

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom