First knot test

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from John M

John M

I wanted to try this knot and finally got around to it. I got a table saw from someone at work. I need to make some sort of slide for it so I can get some nice accurate cuts. I did these with pencil lines and my eye ( which as you can see is not very accurate) It only gets worse on the other side of the pen, so Ill keep that hidden. I was just itching to get one done and polished to see what it looked like. Does anyone have any pics of their jigs for cutting these angles? I saw one in the library but wasnt really digging that one, although it seemed to work nice. I know it looks bad so be gentle, Just thought I would post since I spent so long setting it up. lol I have some good ideas, but my skill is limiting me. I need to make a bunch out of cheap wood blanks till I get it right.

Attachments

• knottrieal.jpg
    knottrieal.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 287
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
John,

The upper end and bottom are a little unbalanced because you shaped/tapered the pen. Knots are best on straight / level pens. They can be made to look fine on "shaped" pens, but that comes with experience and an "eye" to see what is going to happen before it does. From what I can see, you did a good job of matching thickness of the segmented blue with the saw kerf. That alone is hard for some people to grasp.

I have made only one and it was OK. But yours is better. I am intrigued by knots and want to make some. However for me, my pen turning time is sporadic at best and always have have several pens and experiments ahead of knots. One of these days . .

Last edited:

TurnedAround

I've seen a couple at Penturners Paradise here's one: http://penturnersparadise.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=2633&highlight=celtic+knot+jig

also, here's one for cutting the laminate strips:
http://penturnersparadise.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=2972&highlight=celtic+knot+jig

There's more there but this ought to get you started. Every body was going knot wild over there for a while but a lot of jig ideas and nice pens surfaced. If you free handed this one I'd say you are going to excel with a bit of jiggyness.:wink:

jkeithrussell

I've only done a few knots -- and I've used a sled and Incra miter gauge for them. Each is better than the last, but still not great. For me, the hardest part is getting the insert material the right thickness. And the thinner insert material (requires thinner blade) looks better when the angle is sharper.

Crashmph

Not bad for the first attempt. They get easier with experience. A good miter set at 65-75 degrees tends to make some nice knots IMHO. For a slim like that I would have just tossed the center band and made my own out of the same knot material.

Top Bottom