First Knot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mywoodshopca

mywoodshopca

Charlottetown, PEI Canada, Derby Kansas and Canyon
Made the jig that was shown here a few days ago.. Works great!!

This is my first knot and not perfectly lined up.. but practice makes perfect.. or at least keeps me making sawdust :rolleyes:

Black Chrome Slimline.

Wood is 150 year old BE Maple and the other wood I used for inlay is unknown..

Attachments

• celticknot.jpg
    celticknot.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 298
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jkeithrussell

Good effort. I have not (yet!) had success in segmenting or knot-making, but I've tried enough to know that you did great for your first one.

I'm not a fan of the big bulges, but the contrasting woods look good.

BTW: a lot of people don't like the black chrome kits, but I do and I think it looks good against the light body here.

Last edited:

kirkfranks

Good job Jason,
I too am not fond of a bulge quite that big on a slimline, but I have done knots on smaller slimlines and will say that your's does look better. Knot pens IMHO do need a larger diameter in order to show off the inlay.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Very nice work, Jason. Good fit and finish. Count me with those who think this pen is a bit to wasp-waisted. Most of us do this for awhile because we hate to turn away nice wood. Consider making larger pens such as the cigar as they will display the wood better while at a less exaggerated contour.

mywoodshopca

Charlottetown, PEI Canada, Derby Kansas and Canyon
I know the shape is a bit rounded, but only thing I have right now is a few slims left. I will be making another better soon for a cigar :)

Outfitter - Heres the jig http://penturnersparadise.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=2633

I ended up using a few broken clamps to hold down the wood when its being cut and used some spare BB I had and the total cost of it was $0.00

Last edited:

davinci27

Definate good first try. My first knot was looked like someone over inlated a tire. I'm not a big fan of the bulge shape, but I've done my fair share of them while I was getting my confidence with the tools.

Top Bottom