First kitless, steep learning curve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MikeL

MikeL

I have had several practice runs making sections and threading. It was time to just try a full pen. What a learning curve. I got so tired of working on the same pen I gave up trying a clip. Maybe next time. The pen shape isn't the best and the section to body is not exactly a flush fit, but close. This is a #5 Bock. Hours and hours of reading IAP information was very helpful and purchasing parts from IAP vendors was also very helpful. Next pen I need to figure out how to make a closed end mandrel or purchase one that can fit custom pens. Any coments or advice is welcomed. Thanks

Attachments

• FullCustomBlue1.jpg
    FullCustomBlue1.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 182
  • FullCustomBlue2.jpg
    FullCustomBlue2.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 159
  • FullCustomBlue3.jpg
    FullCustomBlue3.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 195
  • FullCustomBlue4.jpg
    FullCustomBlue4.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 185
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

Very well done Mike !!! Nothing wrong with the shape, looks like it fits the hand better. As far as the fit, that is the way you designed it, right. Double closed end pens never look quite right with a clip or with exposed threads on the end so you can post the cap. Just my ideas. Jim S

ChrisN

Nice looking pen. I'm not to keen on the shape - the body is curved, and the cap is straight. I think it would look better with a curvy body and cap - the contrast in shapes just doesn't work. Otherwise, it is very nice looking!

BSea

People that have done a kitless pen can certainly identify with your journey so far. I'm sure you took good notes, right?:)

That's better than my 1st kitless. In fact better than my 1st 2 or 3. And you learn so much making a pen like you've made. And as far as the shape goes, without a kit, it's all up to you. And that's easier said than done. Good Job! :good:

MikeL

Jim, you are probably right about the clip on closed ends. Thanks
Chris, I agree with you on the contrasting shapes. Something for me to think about next time.
Bob, yes I took many notes. The entire process, to include notes, was very time consuming. Next few times should go quicker.

OZturner

Mike, That is an Incredible First Kit Less.
I love the material you used, looks Fantastic.
I note your comments about the Shape, and Fit etc.
We appreciate this is your initial attempt at threading, and that this experience and the knowledge you have gained will stand you in great stead for number 2.
As far as the Shape, don't beat yourself up about it.
It looks fine, remember the advice given to new turners, put it aside and use it to gauge your progress.
I look forward to Number 2.
Brian.

CrimsonKeel

I like the curvy body though i agree a curvy top may have looked a bit better. Firsts are never perfect but the process makes the 10th that much better. Either way i'd be happy to add a pen like that to my collection and im sure you will cherish it in yours

Top Bottom