First Kitless RB - Aluminum

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Stevej72

Stevej72

I started this pen quite some time ago but had trouble with the triple start threads and could never get the cap to screw on. Today I put the die in the vise and tightened it a little at a time until the cap would go on smoothly.

There ares till quite a few fine scratches on it but I plan to media blast it as soon as I can get out in the garage and get my blasting cabinet out.

Attachments

• Aluminum RB 4.jpg
    Aluminum RB 4.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 286
  • Aluminum RB 5.jpg
    Aluminum RB 5.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Burr

Banned
I'm sure there are a few things I'd like to blast...pen doesn't need it. I can't do this but your're on the top of the list of folks I want to follow! Big high five!!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Nice design I like the nose cone shape, Its a great start. One of the problems with aluminum is the finish scratches easily and starts to oxidize as soon as you stop polishing it.

Beautiful pen. I love the look and feel of polished metal. Cannondale used to make a polished aluminum mountain bike. I never owned one but I sure did love the looks of it.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
It's a very attractive pen Steve. I like the shape, and the cone too. Just enough threads to screw the cap on. What media do you plan to use? Baking soda? I've been wet sanding with 2000 & mineral spirits, but always willing to try another way. Thanks for showing your work.

Stevej72

Thank you everyone for the nice comments. I have glass beads in my cabinet right now. I have never tried baking soda, but it might be worth by in a bag. Also, the wet sanding with 2000 and mineral spirits is something I could try now.

jd99

Good looking pen.

How are you going to seal the aluminum, to keep the finish from turning? Even if you bead blast the finish any water or chemicals could change the finish, also it would tend to rub off black on your fingers after a while.

johncrane

Steve!
l think you done a great job, shape and size looks really good, what i like about Aluminum is it's light weight and the price of material, with the fine scratches i use Dursol Shine and Cotton Pads.

Last edited:

toyotaman

Great looking pen. What size stock did you start with? The reason I ask is I bought a 3/4" x12" round stock a while back for this purpose but haven't decided to try it yet. Any pointers on how to start this?

Stevej72

Thanks again the comments! It does feel good in my had although I am so used to a heavier pen that it almost seems like I'm holding a Bic.

Thanks for the tip on Dursol Shine and Cotton Pads, John. I will give that a try.

I did start this project with 3/4 in stock. The finished diameter of the cap is .565 so could probably have use 5/8 which I think I still have some of.

wizard

Steve, That is stunning!!! What grade of aluminum stock did you use. 6061?

I did a pen out of aluminum..not kitless. After I got it to a mirror finish and removed all the scratches with some Brasso polish..I used a Paasche Airbrush with fine Aluminum Oxide to give it a matte or brushed appearance.
If you want take a look.
IAP Home - Photos - Aluminum on a Black Titanium Jr. Gentleman
Anyway, enough about that.:redface:

You made one gorgeous kitless pen!! Thanks so much for showing.
Regards, Doc

Top Bottom