First Kitless Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mrplace

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrplace

Here are the first two kitless pens that turned out satisfactorily. Cap threads are multi-lead, and the nibs are Reform nibs from Elliot's. I have some design changes in mind for the next one.

It is nice not to be dependent on kits, but to be honest, nibs are not cheap either.[:p];)

tn_Orange.jpg

tn_Orange%20Capped.jpg

tn_purple-gold%202.jpg

tn_purple-gold.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Firefyter-emt

Very cool, are you planning to share your threading trick? I would love try that! How does his nibs attach, are they a press in thread fitting? How do you fill the pen, dropper maybe?? [:D]

mrplace

Originally posted by Firefyter-emt
<br />Very cool, are you planning to share your threading trick? I would love try that! How does his nibs attach, are they a press in thread fitting? How do you fill the pen, dropper maybe?? [:D]

Threads where not a trick. I have a metal lathe and a mill. It has took me since early March to learn enough to get to this point, and I have more to learn. Threading is not as hard as expected, took less than a week to actually work all the kinks out.

The nib front section is threaded so there is internal threads cut in to the body. Elliot also sends a brass insert that can be used. These fill with a premium pump or you can use a cartridge (which I use).

I do have to give credit to Dan and Bruce for answering many, many questions I had along the way.[:)]

tn_Orange%20Apart.jpg

Stevej72

Excellent work! I've been working with my metal lathe for a couple months now, but still haven't turned any threads. Hope to get that good someday. Thanks for sharing.

Firefyter-emt

Thanks for the heads up! Did you cut the cap threads on the lathe too?? I am impressed!

I seriously should think about getting a modern metal lathe, there is just so much you can do with cool things like power feed and good adjustments! [:D]

Milpaul

Great work! Besides not depending on the kits, you are also not confined to an exact length or diameter of a kit. You now have a lot more options (like you haven't already been thinking about that!) [:p] [:p]

xylostyle

Excellent work Ralph. I used to do triple lead threads with a CNC lathe. I always admired people that could do what you did on a simple hand lathe.

Elliot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom