First Kitless - Orange Camo PR

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from InvisibleMan

InvisibleMan

Whew! This took a long time, but now that the first kitless is out of the way, I think I can do it better and faster. Fun process, but tiring.

This is my own PR blank that I call Orange Camo, and of course a black blank was used too. I was happy to find that it threads easily. At least I think it was easy - I've never threaded anything else, so who knows.

Nib is a polished Bock #5. Clip is ripped off from a Jr. Statesman pen I didn't like. The clip is recessed in the cap. I had to drill out the cap so the nib would fit up in there with the cap on.

The center band, finial and threaded section black pieces were segmented and are not removable. The cap finial obviously was threaded and is removable.

What I would do different next time:

I don't like the recess behind the threads behind the nib. I'll try raising a step there next time instead.

The walls around the cap recess for the clip got a bit too thin. Maybe a wider cap or smaller OD cap ring next time. Plus, the notch for the clip is sloppy. I only had a round file available and I got what I deserved. Should have gone and gotten a square file.

Not sure if I like the look of the section. I think I should have segmented an orange ring at the nib end maybe. That might have been cool.

And definitely fewer threads for the cap. It takes about 10 revolutions to screw the cap all the way on. I can't shorten them now, though, or the nib might not fit inside the cap.

Anyway, I'm open to any and all comments, suggestions and critiques. I want to get better, so let me have it:biggrin:. Sorry about the linty photos, I'm too tired to clean any more:rolleyes::redface:. And I see the color varies a bit. The blank is blaze orange. You could fill out a deer tag in the field with this thing:beer:.

Thanks for looking.

1_Orange_Camo_Marble_Kitless_Fountain_Pen_1.jpg

1_Orange_Camo_Marble_Kitless_Fountain_Pen_2.jpg

1_Orange_Camo_Marble_Kitless_Fountain_Pen_3.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

If you hadn't said anything about the clip area, I would have never seen it....done good with that round file:wink:

Does the nib touch the end of the cap? The section looks great, but I was wondering about the length....then again, it might just be the angle of the photo.

Scott (outstanding) B

InvisibleMan

If you hadn't said anything about the clip area, I would have never seen it....done good with that round file:wink:

Does the nib touch the end of the cap? The section looks great, but I was wondering about the length....then again, it might just be the angle of the photo.

Scott (outstanding) B

It doesn't, but just barely fits. I had to drill the cap out almost to the end. I think it's because the threads on the barrel are so long. I could chop the threads in half and have a little more room, but I'm afraid to touch them now.

Other possibilities: Here's a shot of the housing next to the section. Do people drill and tap for the housing right behind the threaded part of the section? I was afraid to do that. Only way to get the section shorter that I know of.

Or, do people thread the section further down into the barrel?

1_Orange_Camo_Marble_Kitless_Fountain_Pen_Section.jpg

Top Bottom