First kitless FP

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dan_F

Dan_F

I've been away from the board for a while, but thought I'd post this one, my first kitless effort. It lacks a clip - I'd like to install an "invisible clip" that would be fastened about a third of the way down the cap, but I need to work out a few more details. It's drilled for jewels, top and bottom, to be made from the same material, but I need to pick up another blank for that. The nib and section are from Berea, the cap and barrel threads were cut with the tap and die from the group buy we did quite some time ago.

P1020114.jpg

P1020117.jpg

Dan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

I like how you added the black ring below the threads, it breaks up the solid blue nicely. I probably would have put a bit of radius on it but that's just personal taste.

Nice job!

Did you thread the upper and lower black pieces on or glue them?

Dan_F

Thanks for all of the kind comments! If I calculated the value of this pen by total hours spent to produce it, including threading practice, mandrel making, hemming and hawing and such, it would be a very expensive pen indeed.

Tex---The black caps were glued in prior to turning, which posed certain problems, as this is my first closed end pen. The primary function of the black ring is to provide a stop for the cap at the point where the continuity of the pattern of the blank is preserved. By coincidence, it happens to be exactly 1/8" wide, just the width of the table saw blade. It also provides a visual break as a center band, although quite subtle. I thought about rounding the exposed edge; I would prefer a more gentle transition at that point, but needed a stop for the cap, and any alteration to the ring might throw that off, as well as lead to a strange looking waist where cap and barrel meet. I might still work on an inner cap stop idea, which would give more freedom to shape the barrel.

Dan

Texatdurango

Thanks for all of the kind comments! If I calculated the value of this pen by total hours spent to produce it, including threading practice, mandrel making, hemming and hawing and such, it would be a very expensive pen indeed.

Dan
You know, I never considered charging for the hemming and hawing! Maybe that's why many say I'm charging too little for my pens! :biggrin:

Dan_F

Thanks for the second round of responses!

Ken---Yes, if I manage to mount the clip without destroying the cap, I'll post a pic.

Dan

workinforwood

It's a beauty, but sure needs a clip. I'd go for a mortise and tennon between the black and blue at the final where you can slip a clip over the tennon. If you back cut inside the mortise side and then cut a tiny exit slot, the clip ring can be hidden inside in the same sort of fashion that a standard elgrande finial does.

Dan_F

Jeff---I may just make a stand for it and leave this as a desk pen, as the way I mounted the black finial on the cap will make it difficult to do the clip the way I would like, which is about a third of the way down the cap, as it was done on the vintage Wahl-Eversharp's and others. I know how to do that, but the way I affixed the black finial on the cap will make it difficult to do. Next one I will remedy that.

Butch, Mather---The blank is called Ultra Marine, is available from Woodcraft, and I think Beartooth Woods. I really like it too.

Keith---Thanks! nyuk nyuk nyuk...

Dan

KDM

It's drilled for jewels, top and bottom

"Jewels"? I came across this post because I'm looking for a method of mounting semi-precious stones in a pen. Is this what you mean by "jewels"? Can you give me any pointers?

the cap and barrel threads were cut with the tap and die

This looks like polyester or acrylic. I would have thought them too brittle to thread like this. What's your experience?

Top Bottom