First Kitless: Black Walnut, half heartwood half sapwood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rhall_8

rhall_8

This is my first fully kitless pen. It look several attempts to get a workable nib section to hold the #6 JoWo nib, but I think it turned out well. Please forgive the poor photography. It was just done with my iphone and my wife's table runner (worked better than the wood table). You will also notice that the white part of the body does not exactly line up with the white part of the cap. After turning, I could only get one side of the white/black interchange to line up at a time, so that is the side I decided to not line up. Oh well.

Attachments

• Striped Walnut Kitless 1.jpg
    Striped Walnut Kitless 1.jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 283
  • Striped Walnut Kitless 2.jpg
    Striped Walnut Kitless 2.jpg
    343.8 KB · Views: 225
  • Striped Walnut Kitless 3.jpg
    Striped Walnut Kitless 3.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 162
  • Striped Walnut Kitless 4.jpg
    Striped Walnut Kitless 4.jpg
    340.9 KB · Views: 196
  • Striped Walnut Kitless 5.jpg
    Striped Walnut Kitless 5.jpg
    340.3 KB · Views: 154
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

You have chosen an very Difficult Blank to Match up,
The Heartwood, to Sapwood line is so strong,
that any loss in length will stand out like a Flashing Neon Sign.
I would like to see less of a difference at the Cap to Nib diameter, but that will come with experience and confidence.
Great First Effort.
Brian.

BSea

That is a pretty advanced kitless pen. Double closed ended, and wood too. Great job!

You might want to try some alumilite for your next project. It sure is easier not to have to make inserts for the wood. But I like a wooden pen better than a resin pen any day.

You also might be able to get a closer lineup by shaving off just a bit of the threads for the cap. Of course it also might magnify the problem. But I know that's how others line up the cap with the body.

rhall_8

I ended up shaving a little off the cap side to make the white/black edge line up. Everyone I show it to says they would prefer to have that side lined up, and having done it, I think I agree. Thank you all for your input and support.

Top Bottom