First Kitless

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Robert111

Robert111

This is olive swirl ebonite. It's easy to turn and thread and I got a bunch of it for low $$.

After I finished it last night, I had second thoughts about the shape, so I spent a few hours this morning with it again. It's straighter now than before (less curve in the cap and barrel.

The biggest problem I had was with the dies. I had a hard time predicting what size tenon to make for a given die. Did a lot of experimenting with acrylic pieces to get that right. I think maybe the correct tenon size is a little larger than a given die; i.e., for a 12 mm die, I'll start with a tenon size of about 12.2 mm. That may not work with all 12 mm dies, but it seemed to with the 12 X 1.5 that I was using for barrel-cap threads.

I liked making the section the most. I used George's tutorial from the library. Got it on the first try! Thanks George!

The cap gave the most trouble. In trying to keep it short, I planned on drilling out the center of the finial tenon. That didn't work because the finial tenon diameter turned out to be too small to allow the point in--it caught the edge. I solved this by shortening the threads on the end of the barrel by 1/8". That's why you see the barrel-cap treading on the barrel is only about 1/8" long.

Comments, suggestions, and questions are welcome and appreciated.

Attachments

• 1_008.jpg
    1_008.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 226
  • 1_005.jpg
    1_005.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 203
  • 1_004.jpg
    1_004.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 178
  • 1_010.jpg
    1_010.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 235
  • 1_016.jpg
    1_016.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 194
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 225
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mr

Great looking pen and it shined up beautifully. You did a great job getting the pattern on the body and section to flow together.

Robert111

Great looking pen and it shined up beautifully. You did a great job getting the pattern on the body and section to flow together.

Thanks Mike.

You did a great job Robert. I like that clip; is that clip from a Churchill kit?

Thanks, and you're right, Mark. It's from the Churchill kit.

Robert that's great looking pen.here is a link that might help you he has 3 or more Making the body of a Kitless Casein Pen - YouTube

John, thank you. I'll check that out.

Beautiful!

Hey, Shawn, did you slow down today? It's a holiday isn't it?
Here's a heads up: If you turn that ebonite you've got, prepare to have a bunch of cats hanging around outside your house:eek:.

Great looking pen and as a first, that is better yet.

Thanks, Brian. I've admired your work ever since I came aboard.

Wow, the first time pens these days are really nice. Heck my first dozen didn't look any where as nice!

Nice job!

George, thank you. And thanks again for the great tutorial!

Robert111

Actually Brian, I did make a pen today. :) Tortoise celluloid.

I'll play with that ebonite pretty soon though.

Tortoise celluloid, eh? Coincidentally, I started a tortoise acrylic last night based on the section from a CSUSA Artisan. It's a very small metal section. I'm really looking forward to seeing your tortoise celluloid.

Very nice! First or otherwise, you should be proud.

Mike

Mike, thanks! Appreciate the support!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I am impressed as well. You put a nice shape and, finish to this one. I'm looking forward to seeing more pens like this one.

Top Bottom