First kitless

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JF36

JF36

This was my first kitless that I made today. It took me four hours to make, by far the longest it has taken me to make a pen. The cap looks like it should thread on but I had to make it stay on with friction because I did not leave enough material on the writing end for the threads to work properly. I am very happy with it. All comments are welcome.

Attachments

• DSCN1532.jpg
    DSCN1532.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 317
  • DSCN1533.jpg
    DSCN1533.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 254
  • DSCN1534.jpg
    DSCN1534.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 220
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Congratulations on going with your first kitless pen and welcome to the outside of the box. Im sure there will be more to come.

Last edited:

JF36

Nicely done.....
Thank you
Congratulations on going your first kitless pen and welcome to the outside of the box. Im sure there will be more to come.
There will be more to come I had a lot of fun making this one.
Yeah, that looks really good. It also begs to be further explored and refined.
Thank you I will definitely be exploring with more ideas

Texatdurango

...... I am very happy with it. All comments are welcome.

You should be happy with it, it's a nice start, a heck of a lot nicer than my first try!

Have you figured out how to come up with the dimensions (hole sizes and tenon diameters) required when threading?

I usually recommend that those new to designing their own pens to buy some cheap CLEAR acrylic rod to practice on. Not only is it dirt cheap compared to nice acrylic pen blanks, you get to SEE what's going on inside and gives you a wealth of information as to your clearances.

JF36

You should be happy with it, it's a nice start, a heck of a lot nicer than my first try!

Have you figured out how to come up with the dimensions (hole sizes and tenon diameters) required when threading?

I usually recommend that those new to designing their own pens to buy some cheap CLEAR acrylic rod to practice on. Not only is it dirt cheap compared to nice acrylic pen blanks, you get to SEE what's going on inside and gives you a wealth of information as to your clearances.
I will have to look for some. Woodcraft was having a sale on acrylic blanks so I figured I would try to make first kitless

Texatdurango

....I will have to look for some. Woodcraft was having a sale on acrylic blanks so I figured I would try to make first kitless

A good source for me is http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=37955&catid=440

They sell the 5/8" rods at $1.08 per foot which is pretty cheap in my book. The 1/2" rods are 68 cents a foot!

One benefit is that it is already down to the size or close to the size you will likely turn your pen to so not a lot of time spent of turning down a 3/4" blank.

workinforwood

It might be a little bulky, but for a first kitless pen it's pretty darn nice! I can't say my first one looked at all this good. Keep up the great work, making pens on your own is very rewarding.

Top Bottom