First Jr Retro with MarkD Cone Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TonyL

TonyL

Here you go folks, lots of firsts on this one:
First Retro (from Exotic)
MarkD Something Cone Blank. - Excellent quality - I have turned a blue one of his - first of this copper shade.

PSI CA Flex Glue - bottle was a year old and opened. I bought it to glue tubes, and then some folks (well less than some) recently recommended during our last "CA Gate" :biggrin: Took me a while to get used to the "rubbery" consistency, but I got it to work.

I also like the idea of accidentally dropping it and having it bounce over my head LOL. CA like this will be my CA glue of choice for a while. I did use accelerator (with acetone...that's what I had).

Anyway..listened to the recommendations, tried something new and pleased with the results, although the pen is less than an hour old...we will see I guess.

You know the drill...I ain't going to learn unless folks, brutally honesty, tell me how to make it better.

Good night and thanks for "learning me".

Attachments

• Jr Retro MarkD Blank.jpg
    Jr Retro MarkD Blank.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 380
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Lynch

Good job Tony,it looks good.How did you finish the finish?Photo it lookig down the length and it will look like it's dipped in glass if buffed with plastic buffing compound.

TonyL

Thanks Dale. And I will give that photo angle a try.

I tried to get away without wet (more like damp MM sanding) followed by a series of different polishes, but I couldn't get it "scratch-free" under 10x maginification, so I resumed by usually process:

Abranet to 600 at 400 to 500 rpms (reverse)
MM to 12k, pad are sprayed with water, then blotted on a paper towel to remove "excess" water - at 1,000 to 1,300 rpms forward.
Apply Meguiar's 105, then 205 (2 applications of each) polish
Then Rejex synthetic wax for added shine an protection.

Dale Lynch

Solid process you got,thanks for sharing.Although you didn't ask this is how I finish flex CA.Maybe find it usefull or not.

Wet sand with the lathe running 800rpmand wthe lathe off lengthwise 400,600,800,1000,1500.Medium buffing wheel with Dico PBC 1200rpm,soft buffing wheel clean 1500rpm.ready for assembly

mecompco

Nice! So you didn't have any issues with the cone material that comes up through the acrylic? Having just done my first cone (Hemlock) blank, I did, even after a few layers of CA.

Regards,
Michael

TonyL

Solid process you got,thanks for sharing.Although you didn't ask this is how I finish flex CA.Maybe find it usefull or not.

Wet sand with the lathe running 800rpmand wthe lathe off lengthwise 400,600,800,1000,1500.Medium buffing wheel with Dico PBC 1200rpm,soft buffing wheel clean 1500rpm.ready for assembly

Thanks for sharing Dale. I did us the Barry Gross buffing system and liked it. However, unlike many, I was unable to get all of the very fine radial scratches out like he, and as I said others, can. I tried the Meguires 105 and 205 which I had in my garage (I like to detail my cars), and it removed them. I found out that I didn't need the buffing wheel. I hope you notice how many times I said "I". This is just based on my experience.

I also stopped longitudinal sanding after watching an penturning video about creating a cross-hatched pattern. Any way my results were better.

I now use HSS and can start at much higher grits, but I have to go to at least 4k with damp MM, to get to invisible scratches under 10x mag.

I am committed however, to eliminating the damp sanding. I understand that many turners do not wet/damp sand and achieve a beautiful finish. I am not there yet.

TonyL

Nice! So you didn't have any issues with the cone material that comes up through the acrylic? Having just done my first cone (Hemlock) blank, I did, even after a few layers of CA.

Regards,
Michael

I did after a few layers...I did not after 8 to 12, including 2 thin.

mecompco

Regards,
Michael

I did after a few layers...I did not after 8 to 12, including 2 thin.

Thanks! I'll try some more layers and see how that comes out. Got some more cones baking now, casting tomorrow. :)

Regards,
Michael

TonyL

It's a copper one..I need to photograph in the daylight. I also want to replace that plastic finial with the same cone material. Thanks for the feedback

Top Bottom