First Jr. Majestic Fountain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from woodman

woodman

I just made my first Jr.Majestic Fountain Pen crafted from Amboyna Burl. I finished it with Shellawax but the next pen I make I am going to try the CA finish. Any comments on finish and which you use would be appreciated.The Photo is a little blury I am going to reshow it. All comments welcome. Thanks for looking. Mark

Attachments

• jrmajesticfountainpenamboyna.jpg
    jrmajesticfountainpenamboyna.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 171
  • jrmajesticfountainpenamboyna1.jpg
    jrmajesticfountainpenamboyna1.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 159
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

neubee

Amboyna burl looks great to me with either finish; I really like the spice like smell when the wood is turned. Your pen looks great.

wiset1

Being new myself I've had some hit and miss with the CA finish however, I think I found what works for me. I start by adding 2 thin coats of CA at a time hitting it with accelerator after each second coat. I do this until 10 coats are on. After that I'll add a thick coat of CA and blast it with accelerator again. After this I top it off with 2 more coats of thin CA. I let this sit for about 2 hours and then do the wet sanding to 12000. This may be going above and beyond with the CA, but it works for me and gives that glass finish. You may have to do the wet sanding 2 or 3 times to ensure it's leveled out on the entire surface, but it's worth it.

By the way...your pen looks AWESOME! I love using Amboyna, it smells so good

wizard

Mark, That is a beautiful pen!!! The finish and photography will come with practice... don't worry about that.. you have great resources on IAP. You will eventually find a method that that works best for you. Nevertheless that is a gorgeous pen! Congratulations! Regards,
Doc

Top Bottom