first homemade snakeskin pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jssmith3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jssmith3

Hi everyone, this is the first homemade snakeskin pen I have done. Cutting the skin and getting it to fit just right is harder than I thought it would be but I think it turned out ok. How much would someone sell something like this for? I usually only deal with wood so this is new territory for me [:p]
Janet

20062265829_P1000640.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jssmith3

Hi Terry, no, I just cutit to fit then glued it to the tube with CA glue, I wasn't aware of this pressure casting method, were can I find it? Can you tell me what difference it makes or how it would make it better? I am always looking for ways to improve [:)]

terrymiller

Janet I have not tried this yet but you can do a search here to find out everything. Basically the cast the resin then place the container in a pressure pot that is pressurized to a certian psi then let them set till they set up and this reduces the bubbles that sometimes happen with PR. It makes them so small you cant see them.

gerryr

Janet, are you saying the skin is not cast in PR? It looks like a nice job, but the picture is kind of dark-could just be my monitor.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Janet,

Looks like it's cast in PR, as are mine. I try to sell the cigar for $85 with limited success-FWIW. Like your choice of black kit, by the way.[:)]

jssmith3

Originally posted by gerryr
<br />Janet, are you saying the skin is not cast in PR? It looks like a nice job, but the picture is kind of dark-could just be my monitor.
Hi Gerry, yes, it is casted in PR. I had read the tutorial on the home page quite a while back and the only thing I forgot to do was weight the blanks down before submerging them in the PR so I just taped them down below the top of my container and it still worked but next time I will not forget to do that step for sure [:0] The other thing I have noticed now that I get into natural sunlight is that you can see the gold of the tube just barely glistening from under the skin. If you didn't know it you probably couldn't tell but next time I will color the tube first. I seem to learn something new every time I turn something, I love it.
Janet[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom