First Homemade Casting Trial- Opinions Needed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Brooks803

Brooks803

This is made from my 1st batch of PR. I used Cast-n-Craft PR with Testers Enamel paint. Somehow the Yellow in the cap didn't stay as translucent as it does in the body of the pen. Dunno what happened there. Any and all comments or questions welcome.

Attachments

• 100_4154small.jpg
    100_4154small.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 385
  • 100_4160small.jpg
    100_4160small.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 299
  • 100_4164small.jpg
    100_4164small.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 339
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redfishsc

Not bad for a South Carolinian! ;)

You got the colors blended together very well. I'd like to try that with a green, black, and silver. Too bad I used up all my resin the other day.....

gothycdesigns

Wow, thats really cool. Ok....so where do I learn how to do this. I've poured resins before, but unsure of the order for adding colors, and which type of colors, and the catalyst.

Do you add color to the resin first? Then catalyst? OR mix resin and catalyst as usal then add colors? Any help I can get would be great.

What pen kit is that you used? Looks nice !!

GREAT JOB !!!

Brooks803

Cool pair of pens. Nice castin. :)

Thanks everyone for the kind words...however - there is only 1 pen in those pics. Since it was my first time casting I goofed and poured all my blue color first then the red then yellow. I should have poured blue-red-yellow-blue for a better transition bc most of the blue is on one side of the blank. The order i did this was I mixed my colors then added catalyst. Since this isn't a PR with a part A and part B i would assume I could add color at either moment bc i'm not diluting my mix with an extra additive (i could be totally wrong though) The colors i used were testers enamel paint. I just added color till i was happy with what i saw. I used 4-5 drops per oz. of catalyst. The kit is a 22kt gold tycoon from PSI. the second pic the flash makes the metal look a bit off. maybe thats why some people think theres two diff pens. maybe i'll title this mix Harlequin for its light side and dark side :tongue:

Last edited:

brookswife803

Jonathon did an excellent job on this pen! Much better blank than what I cooked up. The colors are somewhat translucent so it appears like they are floating. Really cool effect! The yellow and red have metal flake in them and have this amazing sheen in the sun. Great Job Babe!

bgibb42

I think it looks really cool! I didn't know that you could mix model paint with resin though, so I may trying this again soon.

RAdams

Banned
try a pour with two or three colors only, and pour all the colors at the same time! You will produce some pretty nifty FX!

Brooks803

try a pour with two or three colors only, and pour all the colors at the same time! You will produce some pretty nifty FX!

I was afraid that the colors would bleed together if i were to pour all together at once, but thats what testing is for right? This mix was just 3 colors blue-red-yellow. I just ordered some mica powders to try out soon. I really like the colors i got from the testers but i had to use almost the whole small bottle to acheive what i got this time around. Thanks again for all the comments and tips! I do appreciate all of them!

ps: me and my fiancee are both hooked!! :biggrin:

glycerine

Nice. I believe your yellow is different in the cap than the body simply because the resin in thinner there. The cap tubes are larger, so the acrylic is turned thinner. I've had that happen as well...

Brooks803

I didn't think of that...i'm betting that is what has happened. The lower barrel has such depth to the colors and the upper doesn't have quite as much so i think the larger barrel size is the factor. Thanks! something more to ponder for my next pour!!

Top Bottom