First home made casting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BeeAMaker

BeeAMaker

My first attempt at making my own blank from scratch. Believe it or not, this is wrapped with Masking tapes. like these from Hobby Lobby,
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/FOYAAOSwSHZWgxhY/s-l1600.jpg
Then cast with Alumilite. I even made my own mold, a universal design so I can cast in tube pens for any pen, or just solid pen blanks.

I thought it turned out alright.

rb1.jpg

rb2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Something Different, and Creative, Glenn.
Nice Colourful Blank, Good fit and Finish.
Would you mind scaling down your Photograph size when posting, so we can see the Total picture without having to Scan.
Congratulations,
Brian.

BeeAMaker

papaturner said:
Awesome......Lets see the mold.

I will post pics of it in a week or two. Now that I have used it a couple times I need to make a couple adjustments and recast the mold, But works good.

Something Different, and Creative, Glenn.
Nice Colourful Blank, Good fit and Finish.
Would you mind scaling down your Photograph size when posting, so we can see the Total picture without having to Scan.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Sorry about that, no problem. They fit my screen, but I run a high resolution. How do I post them in those little boxes like so many others do?

luckyscroller788 said:
Looks neat. Nice job. Can you see any seam in your taping, or how do you hide that?

There is a small bump where i over lapped each band, can't really see the bump in the picture but you can see the orange overlaping the red mostly. It really doesn't look bad however. I use the tape just as a test more for the casting and testing my mold Idea so I just wanted something fast. (I almost just cast a blank tube). I was in Hobby Lobby and saw the tape on the rack and had an Idea! lol. It actually turned out pretty neet looking. Now I have some other tape ideas! :biggrin:

BeeAMaker

I also want to point out the neat effect of the convex shape of this pen. It slightly magnifies. It appears that the tube itself is in this shape when it is in fact straight inside the alumilite. The polished curve magnifies the tube wrap and brings the colors to the edge giving the appearance that the colors are on the surface, and not underneath. This effect didn't occurred until I polished the blank. Until then I could clearly see the straight tube within the clear convex shaped epoxy. After 1 coat of polish - BAM!

Last edited:

Woodchipper

That is very creative! There is a HL store about two miles from home! Waiting to see the mold. Thanks for sharing. You realize this thread will cost me money!
The wife looked at the picture and thought it was very nice.

zaqdesigns

Nothing wrong with your image size. They looked perfect via my monitor and mobile. I'm sure it's different when some people still use 13" monitors. Too often some upload images so small you can't even see the pen. BTW, I like the vibrant colors on the pen and the finish looks great!

Top Bottom