First historic pen...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from panamag8or

panamag8or

Made from a pine blank salvaged from a ca. 1902 building at Clay County HS in Ashland, AL. It came out real nice, and smelled like Christmas while I was turning it. I have another one to play with later, also. Thanks to IAP member Lee K. for the killer blanks. Cigar kit in satin gold finish. It's resting on the cut-off.
The second pic shows a hole I discovered when I got down into the blank. There is another one on the opposite side. I filled with CA before sanding. It gives the pen a little more character, I think.
644051_4507511811595_1636556718_n.jpg

545503_4507522891872_322200135_n.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

StephenM

Looks good! When I work with salvaged wood, I always try and work with any nail holes, stains, etc. as it gives the wood an historical reference.

Is it just the picture or is your top barrel just a tad proud of the center band? Some people prefer calipers, some just trust the tool, but I like my finger as I think as long as you can't feel a seam with the bushing, you won't feel one with the ring. (this also depends upon your finishing routine and how much you build that up)

panamag8or

Looks good! When I work with salvaged wood, I always try and work with any nail holes, stains, etc. as it gives the wood an historical reference.

Is it just the picture or is your top barrel just a tad proud of the center band? Some people prefer calipers, some just trust the tool, but I like my finger as I think as long as you can't feel a seam with the bushing, you won't feel one with the ring. (this also depends upon your finishing routine and how much you build that up)

I thought it was a nail hole, but I never saw one on the raw blank, and it didn't appear until it was turned round. However, if the nail was put in on the "dirty" side of the blank, there could have been 110 years of paint and Alabama crud hiding the hole.

Yeah, I noticed it's a little proud of the center band, and you were right about it being mostly CA buildup... lots of coats on this one, lol. Plus, I'm trying to get used to craft foam, it makes much thicker coats, I've found. I'm still less than a month into turning, so I haven't quite graduated to calipers, yet.

StephenM

Well you're doing a lot better than I did after a month! I have a digital caliper but the only thing I really use them for is figuring out which bushing is which when I use certain sets. I'm trying my hand at segmenting and use a sliding wood gauge to make sure everything is square - I'm not so worried about the size as long as all 4 sides are the same.

SDB777

Smelled like Christmas.....makes you wonder how that happened after being walked on for all those years.

Nice fit-n-finish on this one, love the nail hole, and the story too!!!!

Scott (shoulda smelled like feet:rolleyes:) B

Lee K

:biggrin:

I've been gone (from here) awhile, and am glad you put that to good use!...

A further backstory for that blank, even though the company I work for had to tear this school down for safety reasons, it was very emotional for the community, all of the School Board members had attended and taught at this school. So, I made pens for the entire board and the former Gov of Alabama, who also attended that school.
Here's the pen I will be giving the Gov. and a bowl I made for the Superintendent of the district...

Attachments

• IMAG1458.jpg
    IMAG1458.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 98
  • IMAG1450.jpg
    IMAG1450.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Top Bottom