First go at pen photography

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Justin_F

Justin_F

Hi here are a few photos of pens I made last week for your critique! (both the pens please!)
Its my first go at pen photos which I found to be fairly easy thanks mainly to all the great advice from penturners.org. I know the photos are a bit yellow (warm)!
Justin

Attachments

• Boxelderburl_Sierra (Medium).jpg
    Boxelderburl_Sierra (Medium).jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 254
  • Olive_Sedona (Medium).jpg
    Olive_Sedona (Medium).jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 264
  • Wedding set black box (Medium).jpg
    Wedding set black box (Medium).jpg
    32 KB · Views: 225
  • Tulip_Sierra (Medium).jpg
    Tulip_Sierra (Medium).jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 211
  • Blackwood2 (Medium).jpg
    Blackwood2 (Medium).jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 187
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Nice job Justin good looking pens and I like the way you got them to stand. It looks like you took the ink cartrige out and set the pen on some kind of peg

OOPS

I know that I am going to be in the minority here, but in general I like the golden cast you've generated on the back wall of the tent. Some of the light tent photos I have seen are nice, but still look like you're trying to read a lightbulb, as the background is too bright to concentrate on the object in the foreground. However, in photo 3, (pens in case) the gold is distracting and interferes with the white pen. I too like the way the pens stand on their own. Nice display.

drgoretex

Nice photography! Lighting is good, and the nail trick to stand the pen up is ingenious.

Unfortunately, my computer doesn't seem to want to open the thumbnails, so I can't see the pens in better detail, but from what I can see, they sure look good!

Ken

Sylvanite

I took a shot at editing one, but couldn't really do much with it. The pic was too small, too soft, and too noisy. Also, the EXIF data (if any) was stripped, so I can only guess at the camera settings. My initial impression, though, is that you need more light (less noise), lower ISO (less noise), correct white balance (color cast), a longer lens (or zoom in), and an editing program with a decent algorithm for shrinking and compressing photos (for sharpness).

I hope that helps,
Eric

Attachments

• Tulip_Sierra%20(Medium)2.jpg
    Tulip_Sierra%20(Medium)2.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 116

Justin_F

Wow! I am humbled by all your great comments and Eric thank you for your insight. Its a long weekend in Australia so Ill give it another shot. Eric - Id love to send you a raw image if you would be ok to give me more feedback!
Jus

rTURNERg

good idea about the nail for holding the pen. I might try that when and if I get into the pen photography part of pen turning. Thanks for showing your great work.

Top Bottom