First fully sucessful burl casting/turning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Brooks803

Brooks803

Compared to my earlier post of my burl casting (http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65672) this pen was easy as can be. First of all the darn thing was cast perfectly. Great resin coverage with no air voids or bubbles. Drilled easily, turned without any issues, and took a CA finish like no other! I made this for a pen swap on another forum. I didn't get a choice in the kit, but I did get to decide on what to dress it in. The wood is redwood lace burl (atleast I think it is) that I cast in yellow resin. Sanded to 600, sanding sealer, I lost count in the # of CA coats, MM to 12000, and PlastX polish. I really don't want to give this one up but I do hope it makes the recipient happy. Thanks for looking! Any and all comments/critiques welcomed and appreciated!

Attachments

• 100_8195.jpg
    100_8195.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 212
  • 100_8191.jpg
    100_8191.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 147
  • 100_8192.jpg
    100_8192.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 147
  • 100_8200.jpg
    100_8200.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 155
  • 100_8208.jpg
    100_8208.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 137
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

Man there isn't any thing to critique, the contour looks well proportioned, the blank looks fantastic, the only thing I'm not over the top on is such a nice blank on a Sierra, Although I just bought about 20 of them I still don't like them. but they sell good. that one should bring a premium. as for comments hows a bout DAUUM that's purdy!!

Brooks803

Man there isn't any thing to critique, the contour looks well proportioned, the blank looks fantastic, the only thing I'm not over the top on is such a nice blank on a Sierra, Although I just bought about 20 of them I still don't like them. but they sell good. that one should bring a premium. as for comments hows a bout DAUUM that's purdy!!

Thanks Ken. I couldn't agree with you more about the kit. Unfortunatly the way the swap worked is we send each other the kit we want and they pick & turn the material. Wasn't stoked about a sierra, but I sure made it "purdy:biggrin:"

brookswife803

Okay now that I've seen the pen in person the photos do NOT do it justice! The yellow resin has this amazing pearescent swirl going on and the burl has some great chatoyance. SOOOOOO wish this one didn't have to leave. :)

Brooks803

I agree 110% with everything said above. OK, have a Qsn. How come you only made one blank like that. You go through the trouble of casting it just for one blank? Now that it is nice like this once you send it out then you only have the pic. to remember it.

I actually ended up with 3 blanks from the mold, but only this one was made with redwood lace burl. The other two are either brown or red mallee. I turned this one bc I hoped it would look the best turned...unfortunately I still think that and dunno what to do with the other 2 blanks.

Turned out nice. What resin did you use PR or Alumilite.

Looks good

This was done with Silmar 41 PR. I still have a lil bit of alumilite from the birthday bash that I should probably use soon...hmmmm...now where's my box of burl pieces???

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I actually ended up with 3 blanks from the mold, but only this one was made with redwood lace burl. The other two are either brown or red mallee. I turned this one bc I hoped it would look the best turned...unfortunately I still think that and
dunno what to do with the other 2 blanks.
I can give you an address to send them to! I know what to do with them. Seriously! I can do PayPal as well. Just tell me how much, within reason, of course.

Top Bottom