First Fountain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gmreeves

gmreeves

This is the first fountain pen that I have made. I have someone that wanted me to make one for them and since I haven't made one yet, I thought I should practice. This was also my first piece of Buckeye Burl and it truly is an amazing piece of wood. I'm really happy with how it turned out and am surprised how smooth a fountain pen writes even with the stock nib. Any comments on the photos are aprreciated.

IMGP0517.JPG

IMGP0520.JPG

IMGP0522.JPG

IMGP0533.JPG

IMGP0537.JPG

IMGP0539.JPG

IMGP0546.JPG

IMGP0555.JPG

IMGP0557.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

turbowagon

Awesome first fountain pen! Pics are great, but I would increase the exposure a little so that the dark details aren't lost.

BigRob777

Wow, that's gorgeous. You take great pics too. I have never tried buckeye burl, though I have a couple blanks worth of it. Nice finish too.
Rob

Last edited:

gmreeves

Thanks for the compliments. I'll have to fool around with the camera to figure out how to increase the exposure time. I am using a basic point and shoot and will have to read up on how to do that. I'm guessing maybe using one of the night settings to slow down the shutter speed. Is that what you are talking about?

turbowagon

There should be a exposure compensation adjuster in the manual-mode settings that looks something like:

| -2 -- -1 -- 0 -- +1 -- +2 - |

Try taking a few shots at a couple notches over 0 and see if you like the difference.

ToddMR

Wow that is a nice piece of Buckeye burl there. Great job on the fountain too. I think that pen looks amazing! You should be good to go if that is your practice pen. Way to go!

phillywood

wow, it's beautifull, BTW you could sell just that and make some more. Youmust have mastered it even on the first try. BTW you took really nice pictures, what kind of camera is that? superb job.

gmreeves

Thanks to all. The camera is just a Pentax Optio W80 point and shoot that I take along with me on my fishing trips. Nothing special but I think the light tent helps a lot. I was really surprised with the blank. I bought one blank from CSUSA and that was what they sent me. Luck of the draw I guess but it really has a lot going on and had a great color change from top to bottom.

Top Bottom