First fountain pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from furini

furini

Hi all

Proud of my first fountain pen - but probably should have taken the picture before I managed to scratch the nib holder :rolleyes:

pen1.jpg

Cheers

Stewart

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

furini

Thanks, scotirish

It's olive - but I did destroy a coolibah burl and then a laceoak blank before I finally got this one right:eek: I love writing with fountain pens too and I suspect I'll have a few more soon! Have ordered the kits and am keen to get making some more.

Cheers

Stewart

I KNOW HOW YOU SCRATCHED THE NIB HOLDER BECAUSE I HAVE DONE IT 3 TIMES!!! On that kit (Classic American) the center band is threaded to accept the bottom barrel. As it is threaded, the machining marks have a small bur at the end of each of them. As you thread on your pen for the first time, each bur scratches into the finish of the pen. THIS IS KILLER!! I now use a small file to clean out the inside of that part on every pen, because it is so frustrating when this happens.

Learned by making the mistake! Dennis

furini

Thanks, Dennis - I'll be sure to do that on my next one. I thought it probably had something to do with the screwing on of the cap. I wondered if I'd got something stuck in the thread when I put the cap on first. Time to look out my little files!

Cheers

Stewart

Pen Maker

Out of curiosity, is this peculiar to this model (Baron) or is it most all threaded kits? I will be doing my first one soon too.

mick

I KNOW HOW YOU SCRATCHED THE NIB HOLDER BECAUSE I HAVE DONE IT 3 TIMES!!! On that kit (Classic American) the center band is threaded to accept the bottom barrel. As it is threaded, the machining marks have a small bur at the end of each of them. As you thread on your pen for the first time, each bur scratches into the finish of the pen. THIS IS KILLER!! I now use a small file to clean out the inside of that part on every pen, because it is so frustrating when this happens.

Learned by making the mistake! Dennis

Also on that style where you part off to the barrel to press on the CB you need to make sure the inner diameter of the barrel is perfectly smooth and clean. Alot of times whenyou mill the ends before turning the barrel end gets roughed up. Then when you press on the CB the barrel end can slightly deform creating an area that can come in contact with the section scratched in your picture. Also as Dennis mentioned the threads are part of the metal CB, I've never liked this design. To me it's just too rough feeling. Last week I repaired a pen ( same style) a customer had bought from another penmaker and I noticed that the threads were particularly rough and hard to start. A little filing with a jeweler's file and they went together easier but the metal on metal threads are not one of my favorites.
Also DAMHIKT but always wait to screw on a cap until the glue you use on the CB is cured :biggrin:

BTW nice looking pen!

furini

Thanks for the further clarification, Mick - as the brass tubes had already been in two other blanks before being in the olive they were a bit messed up!
Also, didn't realise glue was needed for the CB - thanks for that info too!

Thanks for the appreciation, George. I think I've found an area of woodwork that I can really get into.

Cheers

Stewart

Pen Maker

This is not a Baron FP kit , I think it's a Woodcraft or PSI Americana series .

Question is: Do you need to watch out for this on all the threaded post kits?

akbar24601

Very nice first FP. Great pic too! Sorry for the learning curve but I think it may have benefited alot of us. Thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom