First Fountain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from keithncsu

keithncsu

My first attempt at a fountain pen. I must say, I think I outdid myself! Used the chrome American Patriot kit with some dyed box elder burl. Did not plan it this way but the natural portions in the red blank just make it look like the white stripes in the flag. Plays right into the theme!

Attachments

• cHEuU3o.jpg
    cHEuU3o.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 293
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithncsu

OK so after using this thing at work for a few hours a day, I have a question. It seems as though the thread to body connection is getting "weaker." Meaning that the cap fit good and snug up until very recently - like the past hour. Now it seems the cap requires VERY LITTLE effort to unscrew.

The internal threading is plastic. Have I somehow "stretched" or over stressed the threads that would cause this? I've looked down in there but don't see any thread damage.

**EDIT** after further review, it seems to work fine on the flip side. So putting the cap on the "post" gives a good connection. That lends me to believe something is up with the thread on the nib side of the lower body. Again though, there seems to be no visual issues.

Last edited:

duncsuss

The chances are very high that this is a multi-start screw thread. Try this:

With the nib point up, put the cap on. Gently unscrew it, if it's very loose keep turning backwards until you feel it ride up a little and drop down into "the next groove".

Then tighten the cap and see if the fit is better in this orientation. There might be 3 or 4 start points you could try.

If it's loose in all the positions, I'd be tempted to get a little blob of beeswax on the tip of a toothpick and press it into the threads inside the cap.

Top Bottom