First Fountain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Mike Powell

Mike Powell

Took me all week to make this one, I kept breaking blanks. Finally after I slowed down and took my time I got it done.

Attachments

• Fountain.jpg
    Fountain.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 255
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Firsts are always fun.

Mind sharing the details? Wood type, finish used, or whatever.....

Happen to know why the blanks were breaking?

Scott (why is Batman a different guy every time) B

Nice job. I am also curious about why you were breaking blanks. Are your tools nice and sharp? What kind of wood are you using and was the wood the same as the finished product? Tell us more.

Mike Powell

My blanks were breaking because I was in a hurry. I only have a hobby style drill press, it just barely fits a slimline blank with a 7mm brad point. Well the 10mm was to long so I had to drill it with a hand drill. Im not exactly sure how it all went down, but my 10mm brad point came out of the blank and hit my vice and trashed the side cutters on the bit. So I went tona plain old drill bit, well tthey arent worth a crap for drilling blanks. Me being in a hurry and improper tools lead to crooked tube holes that tend to walk out of the side of the blank about half an inch from the end, which makes it wAy to short. Like inszid when I slowed down and took my time it came out nice. The blank breaking was my fault combinations of in a hurry/frustrations of my being dumb. So I stepped away for a couple of days and regained my composure with it, all was good after that.

The blank is made out of bethlehem olive wood. I love the stuff it really turns out nice. I use gorillia glue super glue for the finish. It take a few minutes to dry but I hav had the best luck with it. Three coats for finish. Sanded 1500 between coats and to 12000 with micro mesh on the last.

I got the kit from wood turningz. Does anyone know the kind of nib they use and what material is it? I have a buddy that collects fountain pens and he asked if it was steel or irridium. I was sure but didnt think it was steel.

walshjp17

Get yourself a Jacobs chuck to fit in your tailstock and drill your blanks on your lathe. Much more stable and much less stressful.

Top Bottom