First fountain

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mjrbuzz

mjrbuzz

well i got brave and turned my first fountain pen, it is a peice of edge grain spalted magnolia that Edgar "edohmann" gave me a few months ago. I was really nervous that i would blow it up but finally got the courage :) Ty Edgar very much it came out beautiful.

Attachments

• 1907406_1078003515558554_5441363309765280824_n.jpg
    1907406_1078003515558554_5441363309765280824_n.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 263
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Nicely done !! The blank is a good match for the hardware, which looks to me like a Virage gun metal.

carlconner

Since it is your first one are you going to keep it? If so, are you going to use it? If you do and and trying different inks, I would like to know what works for you. I am running through different Noodler's blue inks right now (Polar Blue, Bay State Blue, Navajo Turquoise) on my first fountain pen that I built on a Vertex Supreme.

mjrbuzz

Since it is your first one are you going to keep it? If so, are you going to use it? If you do and and trying different inks, I would like to know what works for you. I am running through different Noodler's blue inks right now (Polar Blue, Bay State Blue, Navajo Turquoise) on my first fountain pen that I built on a Vertex Supreme.

Yes this will be my personal pen, Magnolia is my daughters name so i wanted to have a pen made from it for me. I havn't written with it yet cause the ink that came with it blew up in the bag so i will likely order some with my next purchase. What was your favorite color? I want something that really stands out.

OZturner

Fantastic Pen, Clayton.
Glorious Spalted Magnolia Blank, that gives the pen a Special Elegant and Sedate "Touch of Class".
Great Fit and Finish.
I am sure Magnolia will treasure it for all of her life.
Congratulations,
Brian.

carlconner

Yes this will be my personal pen, Magnolia is my daughters name so i wanted to have a pen made from it for me. I havn't written with it yet cause the ink that came with it blew up in the bag so i will likely order some with my next purchase. What was your favorite color? I want something that really stands out.

I have six inks so far - I am starting with Noodler's but plan to branch out later. You asked "what color?" I like blue for work. You may have meant "what ink?" - if so that is a much more complicated question.

I spent some time reading ink reviews on FPN here:
INDEX OF INK REVIEWS - Ink Reviews - The Fountain Pen Network
and found them helpful, although the color balance of some of the scans are off.

I really liked Polar Blue as it dries for me in about 3 seconds. But in my Vertex Supreme it was too "dry" and that created skips in my writing. I tried adjusting the nib, but to no avail. I switched to Bay State Blue and have used it every day now for about a month. Flows like a river! Two caveats though - it takes about 30 seconds to dry on my Rhodia pad and it is well known for staining everything (including clear plastic converters).

What finish did you put on your first FP? I made the mistake of using my favorite friction polish - Shellawax. Looks awesome, easy, durable ... but apparently will permanently absorb Bay State Blue ink. So my Huon Pine Burl FP looks like it has broken out in some kind of blue dot measles.

Take care,
Carl

mjrbuzz

Alas I broke the lid, i was trying to drive out the plastic part, it came without threads :(, and ended up cracking the blank. lucky tho i had another kit and enough of the wood left to replace it. Honestly i think it is nicer for it. i finished it with 1 coat med and 4 coats thin CA. can't wait to get some ink, but for now i am using the roller ball tip and ink tha came with my other kit :) nice to have both.

Top Bottom