First few turning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jordan303

Jordan303

Ok so for my grad gift I wanted a laith. Being un employed and having all these tools I had a lot of time to get going. These are the few sucessfull atempts but have lost many many blanks during the turning (and mostly the drilling...holes always nd up to big).

What do you think?

Attachments

• 101_1286.jpg
    101_1286.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 253
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxman400

Nice looking pens, When I first started I had a cheap drill press that had a lot of run out. I first bought a Lathe then a good Drill Press then a blank vise then good bits (Dewalt bullet tips). Problem solved.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
You're off and running! Beautiful color on that cocobolo..

Drilling can be tricky until you get your system down and stick with it.
Sharp bits are a must, though.

Jordan303

Thanks guys. Its tons of fun. The drilling is being done on the lathe. I just use a chuck and a drill chuck. Gorilla glue expands so it seams to solve the problem.

I tend not to post much but am allways reading up, seams like micro mesh is a needed investment for the acrylic pens. Iv been going up to 600 grit clean with acetone, then the blo/ca finish and it really works for me. Out of all those pens I only have 1 of them cause I keep giving them away and the best feeling is when they asked if I actually made it.

Looks like the begining of a long term hobby, I look forward getting to know all of you guys.

Thanks for the nice words!

akbar24601

From what I can see they all look great! Looks like you are off to a wonderful start. Looking forward to seeing much more from you!

Keith(VisExp) wrote an fantastic article on drilling on the lathe. It's posted on the homepage and I suggest you read it if you have not already done so.

mickr

gorilla expands+, but the expansion is weak-not strong..so it's of no use to hold the parts together

Top Bottom