First few kitless

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MShepard

MShepard

First seven kitless, actually more like the first nine. I figure I made 4 pens to complete the first two (5 sections, 4 bodies and 3 caps) before I got the hang of it. Since then have only had a couple of remakes, both sections. Constructive criticism would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 1st kitless1.jpg
    1st kitless1.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 235
  • 2nd kitless2.jpg
    2nd kitless2.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 246
  • 3rd kitless2.jpg
    3rd kitless2.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 204
  • 4th kitless2.jpg
    4th kitless2.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 195
  • 5th kitless2.jpg
    5th kitless2.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 238
  • 6th kitless1.jpg
    6th kitless1.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 198
  • 6th kitless2.jpg
    6th kitless2.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 239
  • 7th kitless1.jpg
    7th kitless1.jpg
    347.2 KB · Views: 252
  • 7th kitless2.jpg
    7th kitless2.jpg
    344.9 KB · Views: 260
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie69

Wow! man those look great. the striped and red ones are eye catchers. Did you happen to take measurements of the body and cap o.d.? Love seeing other peoples kitless work. thanks.

MShepard

The threads on the first six are 12 x .75 single. The first couple take about a minute to remove the cap, way too long. 4 or 5 threads should be adequate but I just couldn't seem to shorten that tenon enough. After I finished the sixth I splurged and bought the 12 x .75 x triple from silverpenparts.com for the black/white striped one.

The cap outside diameter on all the pens is between 13.5 - 14 mm. I need to take and record measurements after turning/before finishing and afterwards. At this point, I just turn/until it seems right and finish, so I don't have an exact plan for finished diameter. Most of the bodies are slightly smaller than the caps, the last two I tried to make the same diameter. Thanks for the comments.

Charlie69

Lol, I hear you on the multiple turns with the single starts. I sprung for a 11x.8x3 from Mike after making a couple of kitless roller balls. What a difference the triple starts make, 3/4-1 turn. Definitely gonna get the 12 mm T&D when I can.

furini

Great work, there! Lovely shape and consistency in your pens. Haven't made enough myself to give any constructive criticism!

Bryguy

I think these pens are gorgeous. I've made three kitless so far, all but one too ugly to post! Your work is inspiration.

darrin1200

Nice work.
I think the red one is my favorite.

I here you on the threads. All of mine so far have been 12x.75 thread. The trick I found was to remove threads from cap until the body takes 2 turns to screw in. Its a little hairy getting in there with a cutter, but its fairly easy once you get the hang of it.

Do you plan on adding clips? I have been using Triton clips if I want the ring visible, and Churchill clips for hidden. I haven't gotten to the point of making my own yet.

I finally have a few finished to take to the Scriptus Pen show. I will trynto post some pics later. For now its off to buy snow tires.

TurtleTom

Please let us know what you used for sections and nibs. They are the parts that are hardest to get a good selection without paying say, $500 for a Pelican section and nib. Berea is the only modestly priced company I know selling to penmakers.

Last edited:

darrin1200

Please let us know what you used for sections and nibs. They are the parts that are hardest to get a good selection without paying say, $500 for a Pelican section and nib. Berea is the only modestly priced company I know selling to penmakers.

I make my own sections from ebonite or acrylic, and fit it with a Jowo feed assembly from Meister Nibs. Since I started writing more with fountain pens, I have grown to dislike the metal sections. Just a personal preference.

TurtleTom

I make my own sections from ebonite or acrylic, and fit it with a Jowo feed assembly from Meister Nibs. Since I started writing more with fountain pens, I have grown to dislike the metal sections. Just a personal preference.

I couldn't find any feed at Meister Nib, only sections with nib and feed. :confused:

MShepard

Bryguy , Keep at it, as I said I remade enough parts to make four pens, just to complete the first two.

Darrin, yesterday was my first attempt at adding a clip, Churchill, and it was a fail. I didn't leave enough diameter to the finial. Will remake the cap next weekend if possible.
I was going to get an adjustable reamer and try to remove some of the cap threads but haven't tried that yet. I tried once to use a drill but it didn't work well.

TurtleTom, I have been using black alumilite or the same alumilite as the body for the sections. I have not tried ebonite yet. I bought two 6mm Jowo nib/feed asembly from Meister Nibs and have been using those to make the pens (switched them out for photos), but at some point will need to buy more so I can sell/give the pens away.

Tony, I bought a lathe in late Jan this year. Initially tried to turn some bowls but really didn't get into it. My brother-in-law is a fountain pen enthusiast so I thought I would make him a pen for Christmas. After a couple of pen kits I sort of got hooked, made FP/RB sets for all male family members for Christmas. Made pens for my wife and daughter, gave all the ladies at work slimlines, and have a handful of miscellaneous pens laying around the house. Sooooo…now I am trying kitless. I know, obsessive/compulsive personality. I have been a woodworker for a long time and have made knives for the last six or seven years.

Everyone else, thanks for your compliments.

darrin1200

Maybe Meister Nib has changed their catalog, all their nibs and feeds are in sections. I suppose I could always just take it out and trash the section.
But I did find this from PenKits.biz:
Fountain Pen Parts
Off to make a bamboo dip pen today.

Her is the link to Meister Nib's steel nib page.
Meisternibs - Steel Nibs

While they do look a little like sections, the pictures are not sections. Those are 3 piece combo's.
The nib
The feed
The feed holder

You drill and tap a hole to fit the holder, then the feed and nib push into it. You do need a special tap, depending on the size of feed.

Attachments

• 1445860880786.jpg
    1445860880786.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 79

darrin1200

I use a flat cutter. It actually started life as a part off tool.

I ground the corner so that it is thin and square. I have a flat tool rest that I lay it on, and set it so it is exactly center height in the hole. I hold it against the threads Iwant to remove, and turn the lathe with my hand. Usually a couple of turns us sufficient.

I'll try and take a picture of my set up. I have at least 6 more pens I have to finish by friday, so it should be in the next couple of days.

Here us the cutter sitting on the tool rest.

Attachments

• 1445861568465.jpg
    1445861568465.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 75
Top Bottom