First experiment with Pearlex and thin CA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

544610_386361534757251_1945503316_n.jpg

548750_386361571423914_1960894274_n.jpg

I got a box in the mail a while back full of laser cut blanks that were missing the little glue-in bits. That's why they were free, apparently. I had been sitting on the idea to do this for quite a while, and finally got the idea far enough along to execute. I packed the cutouts with Pearlex and soaked them in thin CA. Padded it up with a lot of medium CA to bring it to the needed thickness and it turned like a dream. Had a few voids left in it that are filled in now, but they're still kinda noticeable. Thanks to the shape of the cutouts, there was no right way to hold it that didn't result in a bunch of dripping and lost material during the process. I'm really happy with how this turned out, and I still have a good few blanks left to play with if I ever need to do something like this again.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Snowbeast

Allan,

Try mixing the Pearlex into 2 part epoxy. Less messy and pretty much the same outcome.

Nice pen, by the way.

I've been meaning to try some of these but too cheap to buy the scrap blanks.

Last edited:

Drstrangefart

You're referring to the thick stuff? I though about that, but I just have the small bottles and I figured that being the case, flooding with thin was going to be more effective. I was also unsure I would have a way to fill in the windows with it once it was mixed up.

LagniappeRob

It's taking a while to fill in... 1 line at a time. And I think I'll end up going over each one a second time. I was even trying to find pearlex. Couldn't at either Michael's or Hobby Lobby. Both places didn't seem to know what I was talking about either. Actually getting someone to talk to me at HL today was a chore in itself. First person walked by me went another 20-30 feet to go up to a lady and ask if she wanted help.

Drstrangefart

Well, it's apparently downloaded onto the phone now....

It's on mine too. Do you have Acrobat reader on there? I was looking at it while at Hobby Lobby today.

I looked at the PDF, it can read them. Doubt it's Acrobat. Don Ward sent me the box of leftovers, actually. And I had not seen the PDF before tonight. I got my Pearlex at Hobby Lobby out here. It is usually near the Castin' Craft. I found it pretty neat that the PDF used the same barrel I used. That wasn't intentional. It'll help when I do the next one, though.

its_virgil

Coastal Scents has mica powders which are close to the same as Pearl Ex (as far as I can tell). The mica powders are cheaper if one plans to use large amounts of this material. And, the color choice is well over 100 colors...I've not counted.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

From my personal experience, both Michael's and Hobby Lobby keep their mica powders in the same aisle with the polymer clays.

Have you seen them stock more than just 6 colors? We couldn't find much in the way of colors out here.

Drstrangefart

Yeah, Brooks has pointed that out to me a while back. I lack the phenominal cosmic powers needed to shop online. Hence the need to find stuff at retail outlets such as Hobby Lobby. I hope I get to cast some more sometime in the near-ish future.

Coastal Scents has mica powders which are close to the same as Pearl Ex (as far as I can tell). The mica powders are cheaper if one plans to use large amounts of this material. And, the color choice is well over 100 colors...I've not counted.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

From my personal experience, both Michael's and Hobby Lobby keep their mica powders in the same aisle with the polymer clays.

Have you seen them stock more than just 6 colors? We couldn't find much in the way of colors out here.

Top Bottom