Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Old Griz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Edit 19Jun05 1738hrs - Replaced horrible picture with less horrible picture
This is the first Enduro finish I have tried.. despite the time involved I have to say that I like it so far... still have some learning to do, but the learning curve is very small.. so even I should be able to get through it...
This is a .7mm slimline pencil kit I found while rummaging around the shop.. decided to try something different and make a one piece pencil out of it... drilled the blank on the lathe from both ends, cut a long piece of tubing to size, epoxied and trimmed.
Sanded to 800 grit, then enduro sanding sealer allowed to dry overnight and sanded to 8000MM, enduro gloss poly done same as sanding sealer and then a coat of Ren wax.
Observations so far: I think I might let the last coat dry a bit more before sanding to 8000MM.. I will also run a sharp craft knife blade at the junction of the blank and bushings because I found the Enduro is still slightly soft and clings to the bushing causing a ring to tear away.. I was lucky and it tore from the bushing, so all I had to do was trim it at the end of the blank. All in all a pleasing finish that that is glass smooth and glossy and has a warmer feel than CA.
Photograph was a quickie, hand held with flash.. was not in the mood to set up my stuff..

2005619213911_PencilOnePiece.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MDWine

Looks good Tom!
I'm still waiting for mine to get here, should be Monday or Tuesday.

Slimline huh? [;)] Good job![:p] Is that Coco?

(I really like that one piece design, looks nice!)

Rifleman1776

That is obviously a fine finish. But the drying time involved makes me wonder if it is really worth the trouble. I suppose if one is selling a lot of pens, the investment in a half-dozen, or more, spare mandrels might be a good investment. But for low production folks, I'm not sure.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Frank, the last time you mentioned having to have multiple mandrels for this finish I explained that I use a rack for blanks the need long finish times (i.e. lacquer)... take a look at this thread
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6880&whichpage=2

Dario

Tom,

That's a nice rack [:D]

I use a similar one but very crude in comparison. I just got me a styrofoam board and sticked half length bamboo bar-b-que sticks with rubber band on the bottom...works really well.

wayneis

Well Tom it looks like you are getting the hang of Enduro. Your pen looks pretty nice. What do you think of the depth that you can get with it?

Enduro probably is not for everyone, it is not a quick instant finish as it does take some time to do it correctly but if you do take the time then you will be rewarded with a beautiful deep glossy finish that will last for a long time.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom