First emperor and first bakelite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from crabcreekind

crabcreekind

OK, so my friend got both of these from exotics, and she wanted me to turn it. It took a little bit of time to get it down to final size since the stick is so big. It is similar to pr when turning,(except a little bit harder). And it sands like trustone, as it seems to come off in a paste when wet sanding. This was first pen in a while. No time to turn much because of school. Anyway, I think it turned out great. I believe bakelite patina over time? Because the rod was green before i turned it, and when i micromeshed it was green coming off. The kit if you were wondering is actually a jr emperor.

Attachments

• 100_7678.jpg
    100_7678.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 215
  • 100_7676.jpg
    100_7676.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 178
  • 100_7677.jpg
    100_7677.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 161
  • 100_7679.jpg
    100_7679.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 168
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

Nice worK (play) on the pen. It looks like the fit is very well done. Were you having any anxiety turning expensive, vintage material? I will often cut thick material down to size on the bandsaw, especially if it is difficult to turn. I noticed your chosen finish is a soft sheen which is less common. Is that just how it worked out, or was that your desired level of sheen?

crabcreekind

Nice worK (play) on the pen. It looks like the fit is very well done. Were you having any anxiety turning expensive, vintage material? I will often cut thick material down to size on the bandsaw, especially if it is difficult to turn. I noticed your chosen finish is a soft sheen which is less common. Is that just how it worked out, or was that your desired level of sheen?

Actually i didnt have any anxiety turning it, because I didnt pay for it. :biggrin:
I did take one of the blanks over to the disk sander and took a bunch off and it helped a bunch. The finish is actually really shiny. Just my pictures look like it is not. (i dont really know how to fix that)

Top Bottom