First Elk Antler cartridge Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Tanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tanner

Ok, I know there is a lot wrong with this one. It seems too short without the center band. However with a streamline center band it looks goofy. Let me know from experience what looks good as a center band with this. Also, how wide of a center band, without looking too obvious. There is a slight gap between the casing and the Elk antler. I tried shaving it flat with a utility knife, but still could not get it perfectly flush. The distance between the butt of the antler and that groove I cut is farther than the butt and groove on the actual shell casing. By the way, how the heck do you sand that groove? I had to cut little tiny strips of MM to get in there. Not all, just five of the grit levels, then I went to paper bag for the last one.

I cheated on the casing, I got it from eBay, already powder coated clear and the tube inside. What casing works the best for a longer pen? I see some of you use .30-06, some use .300 mag, others use .340 and the list goes on. The one I used is a .308. The nib is from a Gold Titanium Streamline and the end cap and clip are from a Gold Titanium round top European.

2007120174638_1st%20Cartridge%20Pen.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LEAP

Man you're too hard on your self that things gorgeous! I have not tried a casing pen YET but when I do I hope it comes out as well. Of course if you don't want to keep it around as a remainder of all its shortcomings I would be more than happy to "store" it for you.

guts

Tim,nice looking pen,i never have used a c.b. on any casing pens,i also use the 30-06 casing,it is longer than the 308,i think it would look better without the groove.

wags54

Tim I too think your being to hard on yourself. The pen looks great I like it. As far as the cb I bet you are right it would look real goofy on that pen. I have to vote for the groove I like it but I also think the pen would look good without it too. I was thinking when you were talking about the casing and antler not meeting tight if perhaps the top (antler) is just a shade to short because of no cb and that makes the top bottom out on the refill and won't let the two come together. Pull the refill and see if they go together then, that would be the quickest way to find out. You might just need to make the top blank a shade longer next pen you make. This one is great though.

Tanner

Wiley, you may be right about the refill hitting that threaded insert for the finial. It measured 1/4" from the end of the antler to the top of the refill. I don't have another Round Top Euro to measure that insert though. I threw the Streamline center band on and it does fit real flat to that, no tiny gap. The fit looks great, it just looks wrong. You know, just looking at it, the shell casing is not real flush with the other side of the center band. I think the shell casing butt end might be slightly convex. Anther thing to watch out for.[:I]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom