First efforts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gsdoby

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsdoby

I am a relatively new turner(less than a year). I have put a photo of some slimline pens and pencils I made ut of a piece of osage orange a friend gave me. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I know the flash washed the image out a little

200622424958_pens2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

Yes, a flash will ruin just about any pen photo. If you can bounce the flash off something white it will help a lot. It's difficult to tell for sure, but it looks like the blanks are a bit proud of the centerband and maybe the nibs on the top two. BUT, I can tell you these are a lot better than my first one, WAY TO GO.[:D]

BigRob777

Way to handle the knot. No cracking, or chip-out. Maybe you are ready to use your own center bands. I've only done about 23 pens, so I'm still trying to perfect the process (home made CBs), but it isn't hard. There are several ways to do it. The kit's CB limits the shapes of the pen. Nice work.
Rob

gsdoby

By proud I figure you are talking about the blank being larger than the center band. Yes. it is a little, but the glare in the photo makes it look a little worse than actual.

Jim15

They look very nice. Can't help you with the phoograpy as I'm trying to learn about it myself. This is a great place to learn.

jim

Ravenbsp

Very nice firs efforts. You show a very nice consistency in workmanship from one pen to the next.

I'm still learning photogrpahy myself. That said I have an inexpensive kodak 4 MP camera that come with a few useful settings. The first is a macro-mode, typicall used for close-ups under about 2 feet. For this you will need a small tripod or some other means of keeping your camera very stead, as the flash does not go off, rather exposure time is increased, thus the need for a steady camera. You can also explore exposure settings your camera may have.

Certainly peruse the pen photography section of the forum, I have been experimenting with man of the techniques and gadgets suggested there with increasing success without having to spend much money. [:)]

Keep turning

Rifleman1776

You invited thoughts. The use of osage orange is great, a favorite wood of mine. Your workmanship is good. I am not sure about the bulbous effect near the nib, looks disproportionate to me and I would be concerned about it being comfortable to hold for use. That said, my early slimlines and Europeans had that very same bulge right there. It must have to do with trying to be creative with first efforts. Later, after buying a dissassembly kit, I took them back to the lathe and turned down with a comfort fit at the end.

airrat

Pens look great. Good job.

I try to go without the flash now. I open the garage door to let in natural light and take the pictures that way. Some others here have built low cost photo booths. Might look into that if your in an area that tends to be unfavorable to ones health to open the garage door. Something about a silly word. "snow"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom