First dye job...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Marc Phillips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc Phillips

... I have those "Woodburst" stains I bought a bazillion years ago and I decided to try them again.. first time it was on a bowl, and it sucked... never tried them again. After looking at Carls dyed pens, I figured what the heck... got some very plain and unattractive Maple... you know, it's curly, but just real plain looking... and dyed it blue... COOL! .... it did all kinds of neat stuff... very neat looking swirls and copper looking streaks... This could be a very good thing!

Thanks for looking :)

<center>
BlueMapleCigar.jpg
</center>

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hi Marc, I don't normally comment on other pens when I've just posted a pic, incase it comes across as just trading compliments. But the finish you consistantly get just blows my mind. I can't even get a shine like that on acrylics!!!Even your pics are incredible.

MarkHix

I like the color (and the pen.) Do you have others? I could see doing an entire rainbow of colors. Somebody (like my wife) would have to have all the colors.

Marc Phillips

Thanks for all the kind words gang... I really appreciate it. I used to spend about 20% of my total time making a pen on the finish... now it is around 80% .... The drilling and assembly go pretty quick now, but I take a long time finishing...

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by Marc Phillips
<br />
Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />
Originally posted by jscola
<br />Will the dye fade after using the pen?

Yes, but it comes back when you put a new refill in the pen. [}:)][;)]

Now come clean the coffee off of my monitor! .... oh man, that killed me.... (still giggling..) [:D]

Don't encourage me; I'll only get worse!! [:D][;)]

rherrell

Been wanting to try dye(try saying that 10 times fast) but everybody talks about it running when you apply ca. Did you use ca? If so I'll probably try it. Rockler looks like they might be discontinuing Woodburst. They only offer two colors.

Marc Phillips

Originally posted by rherrell
<br />Been wanting to try dye(try saying that 10 times fast) but everybody talks about it running when you apply ca. Did you use ca? If so I'll probably try it. Rockler looks like they might be discontinuing Woodburst. They only offer two colors.

It's a CA finish... and I didn't even wait the recommended 24-48 hours for the dye to dry (say THAT 3 times fast!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom