First Diplomat

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ToddMR

ToddMR

So I got this diplomat kit from exoticblanks.com and was all ready to try it out last night. I got a freebie of spaulted stabilized pecan. I used part of it and all was going great then *CHUNK* the end tore off. SO I had another piece. I started getting it ready then when I was turning the darn thing kept stopping on the lathe I couldn't figure what was up. Then I realize, the brass tube was spinning inside. Fine....sigh.....So I take it off to re-glue, I put the tube in with glue and it totally stops with about 1/4 of the brass still hanging out. I tried my normal method of just tapping down with the rubber mallet which did not work. So I trimmed off the brass and the other end to the brass. I got it all turned fine, but of course it was too short. So then I go out today and had to hit Woodcraft then Woodwerks to get a couple replacement tubes. I then decided to use the smokey taupe acrylic from exoticblanks, again, everything is going fine, and I sharpened my tools before I started. Just as I am making progress *CHUNK* darnit! (I used quite more colorful metaphors than that).

Ok so I am down to 1 more try on the smokey taupe before I give up for the day. This time I went REALLY slow on using my tools. It took me a considerable amount of time and there were some chip outs, but I simply took my gouge and worked the area until it was worked out. The final product I was happy with and is now my daily carry. I REALLY like the taupe. I think I could have been thinner on the main body, but I think I like the diplomat kit. I wasn't sure when I saw pics all the time of it. Now I know, I do like it. This is the gunmetal chrome kit I got off exoticblanks website.

Thanks for looking! My wife said had this one chunked out on me too, my lathe would be dead. I told her, "no, that wouldn't happen." I might have thrown the blank but no one hurts my baby lol. Sorry for the long post just wanted to give the whole story.

So after thinking more about it last night and reading I went ahead and reworked this piece. Big difference in the thickness of the body. I think it does look better. I think I could have slimmed it down more, but am happy all the same. Andy thanks for the tip on dipping in water. That really helped. I have seen my buddy do that sometimes as well. That made a huge difference. I did re-sharpen my rouge this morning and barely was touching the piece while working it. Slow and steady that's what I am learning is especially true with acrylics. I MM twice, wiped down with dna, and then use plasti-polish to shine. I was kind of torn on either having the thicker part up top or bottom. I kept flipping and decided to put it near the bottom. Thanks again everyone!

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MartinPens

Todd,

Which tool are you using to round out and finish your blanks? I had similar problems early on in my turning and found out I was using my tool incorrectly. This is a good place to fine tune your turning skills if you're willing to share a little info.

Questions that were asked of me:
- What tool am I using
- How am I approaching the bland with the tool (straight on / at an angle)
- What is the position of the tool rest in reference to the blank
- At what speed is my lathe running while rounding out vs. finishing cuts

Answering all of these questions and more really helped me and I rarely have a blowout. Might be worth a try.

Martin

Mark

Next time, if ever, the tube gets stuck part way out, cut the extra off and glue it into the other end of the blank. It's worked for me in the past and I saved the blank plus didn't need an extra tube.

Congrats on your first Diplomat... Seems a little fat for my taste, but it has to work for you, as it's your daily driver.. Nice work.

Last edited:

PenMan1

Nice Pen!

I believe they sent you the Female Diplomat and you will soon have little ambassadors running around the house:)

With acrylics, you may have better success knocking off the square edges of the blank with a belt sander and practice using only a skew (on its side like a scraper) until you get the hang of how each material will turn.

We have a rule in my shop, NO GOUGES ON ACRYLIC! I've popped too many in the past. Also, just to appease the pen Gods, I keep a cup of water by the lathe and I dip my skew between passes to keep the material cool.

Also, many beginning turners are "tool stranglers", meaning they put way too much pressure on the tool to the point of chipping or cracking the blank or bending the mandrel. Put just enough pressure on the tool to make the cut without it coming loose from your hand.

Keep the tool sharp. If you have to force a tool, STOP, because you are destined for failure, A forced cut means something is wrong. Find the problem, correct it and resume.

I find a "journal" beside the lathe recording MY best turning speeds of each material was useful in the beginning.

You do nice work and are on your way! Be patient and practice turning every chance you get. You can get some ordinary kiln dried lumber scraps, 1/4 inch copper tubing from the local hardware store and glue this up just like pen blanks. It is a cheap way to practice your craft.

Good Luck and happy turning.

Last edited:

Jgrden

Todd, thanks for the story. I had nothing better to do after a wonderful day showing my wares. But your story was much more enduring and interesting. You are a true test to the term tenacious. You just don't give up.

ToddMR

LOL! Thanks everyone. John you made me laugh only because it is so true. To answer your questions Martin here they are.

Questions that were asked of me:
- What tool am I using: To round off using a gouge, I couldn't tell you the size of it. Then I work my way down to my spindle gouge, then scrape with my skew and also use the skew for more control on getting my ends where they need to be.
- How am I approaching the bland with the tool (straight on / at an angle) I prefer an angle approach. The handle is slightly bent to the floor, nothing like a 45 degree angle though. Then I slide my whole hand with the tool back and forth. I adapt as I go based on what happens.
- What is the position of the tool rest in reference to the blank. My tool rest is always lower than the middle of what I am turning, but not below the bottom of it.
- At what speed is my lathe running while rounding out vs. finishing cuts. This is the part everyone is different on. With woods I normally run at about 1800 through everything other than CA finish etc. On this one I slowed down to around 1200 range. I have tried doing 500 and 800 RPM speeds when rounding but find it seems to give me too many issues imo.

I have read a lot about all of this and the funny thing is I started turning pens without a class or anything. Just basically watched my buddy and then he gave me some pointers. From there it was all me learning what worked for me based off of what I read and watched online. I can always improve I know. So suggestions are always good in my book.

ldb2000

If you speed up your lathe you will have less catches and blow outs . By turning so slow you are giving your tool a chance to dig in and rip out a big chunk . When turning anything , wood , acrylic or anything else but metals , my lathe has two speeds .... Off and Full speed .

alawoodman

Lathe speed

If you speed up your lathe you will have less catches and blow outs . By turning so slow you are giving your tool a chance to dig in and rip out a big chunk . When turning anything , wood , acrylic or anything else but metals , my lathe has two speeds .... Off and Full speed .

I'm with you. Over time, I've found there are fewer problems if the lathe is going fast. I only slow it for sanding when using CA to fill in gaps.

Nice pen, Todd, though like the others, it's fatter than I like.

ToddMR

Ok well I still wasn't happy and went for take 3 on this pen. All went great! I dipped my tools in water, I let the lathe run full speed, got it done really nice. I MM through all and was REALLY happy. Did some plastic-polish, fired the lathe up and as I was buffing with a shop towel the top end tore off. I wasn't putting much pressure but I saw why. That end was VERY thin. Thinner than I thought. The amazing thing is I was super calm and told myself that was ok. So I had one more acrylic left this red one I got from exoticblanks. I was saving for a Jr. Gent, but decided to give it one last try. The result is a nice color with this kit. The other looked nice but this deep red I love even better! I think this is more of the good size. Thanks again to everyone. Not only am I proud of myself for moving on and getting this the way I think it needed to be to begin with, but I didn't lose my cool and want to throw something like I do sometimes when similar things happen. I was just calm and kept things going.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Todd, I think you 2nd version looks better than your first. Personally I like to go even slimmer but that is just a matter of personal taste.

I agree with those who suggest you crank you lathe up. I turn everything at 4000 RPM, which is as fast as my lathe will go. Keep your tools very, very, very sharp.

Edit............. Just saw version 3. BIG improvement. Way to stay with it! You should see all the destroyed blanks I have collected.

Last edited:

LarryDNJR

Anymore I've been keeping my lathe speed up to about 1800-2350 for most things. I think I might attempt full speed on mine for a while and see what happens with both wood/acrylics/sanding/polishing etc.

I know these pens, and most require them to be a certain slimness but I think changing up from the norm and having different thickness. At some point you have to realize when it isnt functional anymore and just a show piece. :)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
WOW,

You turned into a "plastic turner" in short order!!

Nice job of progressing and "beating" your difficulties.

Only thing I will add on speed, is "Turn as fast as your lathe will go AND YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE!!"

Confidence is one of the most important parts of turning--you will succeed if you know you can. You will fail if you fear you will!! Over time, you realize the "turning gods" have to have their occasional sacrifice. But, it's only a pen blank!!!

Keep turning as long as its FUN!!

Top Bottom