First Designer Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jbostian

jbostian

I made this pen tonight. It is made out of bloodwood and has a CA finish. It turned out ok but the shoulder on the tenon wasn't quite square so there is a little gap at the center band. I was pretty happy with how the CA finish was looking then I chipped the end at the tip. It isn't too bad but enough that it bugs me. If it wasn't for the chip in the finish I think it would be a very nice finish. Sorry the pic isn't very good, I need to work on that.

Jamie

Attachments

• designerbw.jpg
    designerbw.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jmhoff10500

There we go! Thats pretty sweet! The tenon sure looks better than my first European pen. i ended up having to taper to a rounded edge where it met the band:biggrin:

Last edited:

Sberger

Nice pen and a nice finish. It won't be three months and you will look back and say how easy that pen is. You can look forward to so much more and it is all wonderful. I am trying to move to the next level now, and these guys on here are a lot of help. Lots of good advise and videos. Just keep an open mind and push your ideas.
Steve

bitshird

The pen looks good for your first try on a Designer, the tenon things come with time, and the chips in a CA finish well lets say I've had to re do one or twenty my self, A good way to avoid that is to do your finish between centers, then you can sand the excess CA off the ends. Just don't over tighten the live center, the ca will come off you dead center and live centers pretty easily.

jbostian

Thanks for all the nice comments.

The pen looks good for your first try on a Designer, the tenon things come with time, and the chips in a CA finish well lets say I've had to re do one or twenty my self, A good way to avoid that is to do your finish between centers, then you can sand the excess CA off the ends. Just don't over tighten the live center, the ca will come off you dead center and live centers pretty easily.

That would be a good idea. I don't have a dead center at the moment but I may get one soon.

Jamie

Top Bottom