First Deer Antler Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JasonF

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonF

Thanks to everyone who has posted tips on antler in the past. In particular the "get a good mask" tip! It was challenging and fun at the same time, was even able to get a little bark on the downtube that fits nicely in the hand when the pen is open. I will be turning more of this in the future. Pen is chrome fancy slim. Any comment/suggestion is welcome.

2006109153233_SmallFirstAntlerPen.jpg

Wow, that was the biggest pen I ever made! This should be better.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JasonF

Originally posted by Skye
<br />Is the top and bottom from the same part of the antler? They dont seem to match too much.

Yes they are. The bottom part was from the antler tip. On the left hand side by the centerband you can just start to see a bit of color. There was a little curve in the antler then I took the top piece. The colors match alot better in person.

Jason,
I turn a lot of deer horn.. you get the differences in color from the same length of horn.. not to worry. Does not affect the sales of the pens.
You noticed the smell when you started turning right.. kinda like burnt bone or something.. I actually like to do the bigger pens in horn.. both deer and water buffalo.
Since your are from Texas, assume you harvest your own deer horn??[:D]

If you need a source, I can give you a guy in Jewett that has an 8 x 20 ft room full of deer horn and some exotics.. prices pretty reasonable.

Hey Boomalia... & Jason
You might contact Terry or Carla Jones in Jewett, Texas.. Trade Mart Antiques.. 903-626 5707 .. Terry runs a game farm and has lots of deer horn in his store.. I usually pick some up when I can get through there. He might be able to ship to you.. can't confirm since I always stop there when I'm passing through. Jewett is listed as my birthplace, though I've never lived there. Went to the Pea Market there with my Uncle a couple of times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom