First Decal Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from StuartCovey

StuartCovey

I've had the supplies to make my own decals for awhile, but never had a need to use them.
So recently when the War Eagle Mill in AR said that they wanted a sample of what I could do with their logo, I was a little skeptical as to how it would turn out.
I was greatly surprised though when it was finished. I can't even find the edge of the decal!

When looking closely though you can see that the ink has like eggshell cracks throughout it. It's very small and you can only see it when looking really close, but I was wondering if there is a solution to this?
I'm using inkjet decal paper with an hp inkjet printer, two coats of decal bonder spray on the ink after printing.

War Eagle Mill Logo Chrome Slimline-1.jpg War Eagle Mill Logo Chrome Slimline-2.jpg War Eagle Mill Logo Chrome Slimline-3.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Krash

Those cracks kinda look cool, like the letters were burned into the wood. I know in some cases it wouldn't look right, and this may be one of those cases for you, but in some instances, the crackled look may be just what is needed.
The only problem then is that guys are gonna want to know your process to get the crackled finish instead of the crisp clear decals they are getting! :wink:

lorbay

I've had the supplies to make my own decals for awhile, but never had a need to use them.
So recently when the War Eagle Mill in AR said that they wanted a sample of what I could do with their logo, I was a little skeptical as to how it would turn out.
I was greatly surprised though when it was finished. I can't even find the edge of the decal!

When looking closely though you can see that the ink has like eggshell cracks throughout it. It's very small and you can only see it when looking really close, but I was wondering if there is a solution to this?
I'm using inkjet decal paper with an hp inkjet printer, two coats of decal bonder spray on the ink after printing.

View attachment 124758 View attachment 124759 View attachment 124760
How do you size your decal.?? I do mine in Word and in there I make it darker as well. I had the same problem.
Lin.

StuartCovey

With this particular logo I had to invert the image (Usually the letters are white and the background is red). I did this in Preview (Mac OS). Then I moved it to Word so I could size it. I know when you copy an image to Word it will always make it grainy and more pixelated, so this might be the case. I'm going to try a different program next time called Pages (a Mac OS program) and will see if that changes anything.

It might also be the printer. If that is the case I will just have to live with it.

StuartCovey

Those cracks kinda look cool, like the letters were burned into the wood. I know in some cases it wouldn't look right, and this may be one of those cases for you, but in some instances, the crackled look may be just what is needed.
The only problem then is that guys are gonna want to know your process to get the crackled finish instead of the crisp clear decals they are getting! :wink:

I admit, it does add a little character :)
But for some reason I don't think I'm going to be much help :rolleyes:

Mr Vic

I did a recent decal pen for the CVMA and the background is black. Had the same issue...Looked great out of the printer but so much ink and it cracked when dry. Even tried on my brand new ink jet at work...Believe using a color laser on laser decal paper will fix the problem..The cracks do make it look rather aged or warn

Top Bottom