First decal attempt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from plomanto

plomanto

This is my first try at adding a decal under the finish.
The pen is a Penstate Classic done in buckeye there was more blue wood but it all turned off but a little on the nib end. I need to make about 75 with the logo on them for work.

0001.jpg
0003.jpg

0002.jpg

Please let the comments fly

Peter

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plomanto

It was done on an ink jet printer. I picked up a Testors decal kit from Tower Hobbies. I first put on 3 coats of thin CA then the water transfer decal followed by 6 more coats of thin ca and BLO then 10 coats of med CA and BLO

plomanto

Can any one recommend a good light color wood for the decal pens? The rest of the buckeye blanks I have, have to much gray in them. I think I need something very light so the decal backing doesn't show.
Thanks for the help
Peter

karlkuehn

Banned
Peter, I have a bunch of white box elder if you need some white wood. I can even do some light flaming stuff for you if you want. It's a little trickier to work with than maple and holly, though, since it's not stabilized. River Ridge can stabilize it for around a dollar a blank, too.

75 pens, oohlala, that's a lot of work. Do you at least have some creative freedom on the shapes?

Let me know if you're interested, and I can email you some pictures of samples, I've got a bunch of varied degrees of flame content, ranging from none to a whole bunch. :)

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Anigre is a good wood to use for a plain background. Most of the stores like Rockler or Woodcraft have it around. Maple would also be a good choice as well.

Top Bottom