First curly koa I've turned?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jbswearingen

jbswearingen

I think it is, and I like it! It's a Zen kit in chrome. I don't like the way it chips and turns to powder more than it turns into ribbons, but with a bit of BLO and CA, it really *pops*!

Attachments

• Zen curly koa 3_8_13 1.jpg
    Zen curly koa 3_8_13 1.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 175
  • Zen curly koa 3_8_13 4.jpg
    Zen curly koa 3_8_13 4.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 160
  • Zen curly koa 3_8_13 2.jpg
    Zen curly koa 3_8_13 2.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 165
  • Zen curly koa 3_8_13 3.jpg
    Zen curly koa 3_8_13 3.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 149
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Burr

Banned
Maybe that is one of the "burl" type woods (even though it's not burl) that would benefit from stabilizing, not from punk, but from grain orientation.

jbswearingen

Tricky wood to turn Brad. Much easier with a metal lathe. Nice pen and photos. Jim S

Surprisingly enough, it turned very well, with no noticeable tear out--just no long shavings.

I'll bring you a nice blank tomorrow...no chips, no powder...one of my favorites...nice job on that one.

You really are too generous.

I love curly Koa but it is tricky for sure. Great job and great finish.

How is that pen standing up? I don't see any stand or anything.

Stephen I beleive he uses a brad nail with the ink cartridge removed.

Yup. It's a brad with the head ground off and then tapped into the maple block. I then bent the nail over a bit to allow the pen to lean. The cartridge is removed.

Maybe that is one of the "burl" type woods (even though it's not burl) that would benefit from stabilizing, not from punk, but from grain orientation.

I'll eventually start stabilizing (I have the set up, just no Juice yet). When I do, I'll probably stabilize nearly every piece of wood that hits my lathe--I don't turn much wood any more.

Top Bottom