First crack at engraving

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MikeD

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeD

Hello all,
I bought a laser recently, and tried a scrimshaw style pen.
The material is Alternative Ivory. And before anyone asks....
Because I like goldfish, thats why.

20071023172941_Goldfish%20Engraved%20Pen%20PTO.jpg

20071023173312_Goldfish%20pen%20Veiltail%20PTO.jpg

20071023173539_Goldfish%20pen%20pearlscale%20pto.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred

Michael... 1st) That is indeed a very nice pen. I believe the engraving fits it quite nicely. 2nd) Would you please share with us all as to what laser you used and what attachments were necessary to do this type of engraving and from where did you purchase the equipment? [:D]

MikeD

Thanks for the comments everyone.
I have a 45 watt Epilog Helix laser, but the part that makes it do-able is the rotary device. It allows you to engrave a cylinder.
I had been looking at lasers for quite a while, and as it turns out, the Epiog rep lives 5 minutes from my house, and his service guy lives 10 minutes in the other direction. That pretty much cinched it for me.
I use Corel Draw to set up the engraving pattern.
The worst part(my opinion)is doing the color fill. Since the engraving is somewhat shallow, you tend to wipe the color out of the engraving, and if you wait until everything is dried, it gets nerve wracking because you are sure you won't get all of the excess off of the pen.
Oh yeah, it also helps if you remember what pi is.

laserturner

Great job Mike. Congrats on your new laser. I guess this means you won't be sending me your pens for engraving anymore!!! I totally agree with you regarding the colorfill dilemma however it is much easier on the acrylics than the wood.

Fred

"Pi" ... Pies are round, cornbread is square. That the Pi you talking about. BTW, hot cornbread and butter and honey is something else. Sorghum syrup is pretty danged good too!

Mike ... Thanks for the laser info. I keep telling myself that I need one and after seeing what all can be done with different projects I just may have to get me one soon. You seem to be living right since you have all the tech folks nearby. [:p]

workinforwood

Ha Ha Ha..I was thinking of the same possibilities.

Pen looks great, I'm jealous of the laser, indeed, jealous! I'm curious, how's the electric bill? Does the laser surge up alot of power or does it use no less power than firing up the lathe?

ashaw

Mike
As far as color fill. I send all of my pens to Ken just as blanks. Then I color fill I do not care if the paint is all over the place. After I am happy with the color fill I put it back on the lathe and start MM around 8,000 to 12,000. Leaves the color fill where it is supposed to but get rid of all of the excess paint. Note you want to but a coat of wax on it before lasering. That way it is even easier to get off. Again nice job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom