First couple of pens from Me & Kids

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Fromtreestothese

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a few of the first pens my kids and I made.
any tip would be appreciated.

the first one is acrylic and I don't know why the grooves turned white[?] the second one is spalted maple, the third is padauk that
my daughter made, (her first one). the fourth one is Pau Farro that both kids made
for their grandmother. The last one is Padauk that was my son's first
try at turning

2005521153929_first%20try.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Nice family effort! The white grooves are rough plastic. In order to get them to return to the natural color you will need to be able to sand the grooves with very high grit. They make a string-like sandpaper for this.

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />Nice family effort! The white grooves are rough plastic. In order to get them to return to the natural color you will need to be able to sand the grooves with very high grit. They make a string-like sandpaper for this.

Would you happen to know where I might purchase that kind of sandpaper?

Randy_

I like the shape of the lower barrel of the fourth pen!! Don't think I've ever seen anything like it before......very creative.

You might be able to polish those grooves if you take a piece of very fine sandpaper and fold it in two and use the fold to polish the groove. That, of course, will only work if the pen is still on the lathe. To fix the problem on the existing pen, you could try to put a touch of some sort of finish on the grooves. You can probably tone down the white color by quite a bit although it may not disappear altogether. You know how the white ring on a coffee table will disappear, temporarily, when you wipe it with wet rag.......use some masking tape to protect the rest of the pen and then apply a very thin coat lacquer, varnish, CA, clear fingernail polish....maybe even just some paste wax.

If you really want to do it right, disassemble the pen(not difficult to do and well discussed in other threads on IAP), put the barrels back on the lathe and polish those grooves some more.

jwoodwright

Steel Wool and a Spinning object are an Accident waiting to happen.
The object will "grab" the steel wool and have it wrapped up in a Heartbeat. Fingers tend to be pulled along too...
In a lot of materials, the little steel fibers get wedged. Then you have a great mess.

I'm not saying why I know this...[:D]

A cotton string saturated with Auto Polishing Compound will polish those thin areas. Be Sure And Hold String By Only Finger Tips... It can be "grabbed" as well...

hobby_dale

Very nice work for all of you! A great family effort and a great way to spend some time together. I think Grandmother will be proud to own and use a pen made by her grandchildren. Usually it is the grandparents making things for their grandkids...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom