First corncob pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Mudder

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mudder

I learned that I still have a lot to learn.

This pen was tuff to make. It's my first and I am not satisfied with it.
It will be better next time.

Cigar%20pen%20001.jpg

Thanks for looking

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
G

Looks good to me.
I make a lot of these,what do you find wrong with it?
If you point out where the flaws are, there's enough knowlege and experience with these on this sight than may be able to offer some tips.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Very nice first corn cob pen... the biggest "secret" to corn cobs I have found is very dry cobs to start with followed by very sharp tools and a light touch when cutting...
Remember that cobs are really like hard dense grass.. kind of like turning palm in that it will blow out if you try to cut too hard or fast and because of the way it grows it carries silica and sand up into the plant so it will dull your tools real quick.. you really need to keep those tools sharp to get a good smooth cut...
Finishing for me consists of multiple coats of BLO/CA sanding between coats until I get a glass like finish... then polishing to 12000MM and some Renaissance wax...
If you get a cob that has a nice darker color, a coat of BLO after sanding will really bring out some nice color also

low_48

I agree with the others, VERY NICE!!!!!

My customers seem to like to feel a little texture, so I am not putting a really thick coat on them now. Of course, my customers are my farming family!!! The matriarch has some memories that refer back to the outhouse days!!! At least the joking side of using the cob in a southern direction![:D]

Rich

M

Mudder

<br />
Originally posted by Eaglesc
<br />Looks good to me.
I make a lot of these,what do you find wrong with it?
If you point out where the flaws are, there's enough knowlege and experience with these on this sight than may be able to offer some tips.

The Great Corncob Pen debacle.

An attempt to let you know what not to do.

I first tried to vacuum stabilize the cobs with fast drying poly. After a month I found that the poly was still not dry in the middle of the cob.

In the future I will cut and predrill the cob before I try to stabilize.

The pen pictured is actually the top portion of 2 different cobs as I blew out the smaller section while drilling.

Gluing with CA went okay except that the top cured a bit twisted. Not sure if it was natural or done while drilling the blank.

Turning was hilarious, when I first hit it with the gouge to clear away some of the chaff is when I found that the poly did nor dry. This thing spewed poly all over. Good thing I was wearing a full face shield and hat. Used a skew to turn and that was uneventful. Tried a little Blue Solar-Lux to see if I could get some color and that did not work out so well. Possible reaction to the poly, I’m not sure.

Tried to use a CA finish but did not have enough (I need to get in ona a bulk buy after the holidays) so I sanded that off and used Hut Crystal coat and sandpaper to kind of wet sand. It’s not absolutely smooth but I think I like it this way.

Final finish was 10 coats of Crystal coat and 2 coats of Trade Secret for Wood â"¢, this stuff is great. (I am not a paid spokesman. This stuff is that good)

So far I have had favorable comments from whoever has seen it and I think that I am my own worst critic. This was my first corncob, things will be changed when I make another. The next one WILL be better.

I am open to all who want to comment.

G

The part where you mentioned clearing away some of the chaff,
You didn't do that before stabilizing?
Though I turn a lot of CC pens and stabilize them before doing so I always turn offf the chaff before they go into the solution.
I can get more to fit that way.
It willb e interesting to see how this pen holds up.I always figured it was the CA finish that held the thing together.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by Eaglesc
<br />....Though I turn a lot of CC pens and stabilize them before doing so I always turn offf the chaff before they go into the solution......

How do you do it? Do you set it up between centers?
I was in a hurry and just threw a bunch of cobs in the poly and pulled vacuum, let sit for 2 days and took them out to dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom