First completed kitless

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BigNick73

BigNick73

Went the clicker route, uses pilot g2 refill/spring. It all came from one blank but want to say I flipped the blank around some when making my cuts so there's a noticeable difference between the body and nib as they came from opposite ends of a x-long mutt blank. It's 12 mm thick hopefully next one I can get a bit thinner, used 10x1 for the threading but really a 7 is plenty of room, just need to buy more taps.

Went with 20 degrees for the nib, would like to go lower but not sure if I'll have the room when I drill for the refill.

ivQjRkH.jpg

vOJaz3x.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

That's cool !!!

Any brass tube(s) inside ?

If you can get the click mechanism to screw in (therefore removable to replace refill) you could get by with a 5" blank, provided you can drill almost the whole length, adding a narrow hole for the refill tip.

I am not familiar with the details of that click mechanism, but know you probably got if from Greenwald or Milan.

Last edited:

stuckinohio

Looks good for your first attempt. Designing the nose cones is the most difficult part. Slight changes in angle change really make a huge difference.

BigNick73

That's cool !!!

Any brass tube(s) inside ?

If you can get the click mechanism to screw in (therefore removable to replace refill) you could get by with a 5" blank, provided you can drill almost the whole length, adding a narrow hole for the refill tip.

I am not familiar with the details of that click mechanism, but know you probably got if from Greenwald or Milan.

No tubes, and its the schmidt mechanism I got from Milan.

The hole for the mech is actually large enough for the refill to pass. I'm going to have to go measure it to see, but that might actually work.

magpens

Even when you have a drill bit long enough it is better to drill as far as you can with a short drill and then switch to the longer drill ... but you would know that !

BigNick73

Even when you have a drill bit long enough it is better to drill as far as you can with a short drill and then switch to the longer drill ... but you would know that !

I do, and it's actually got a small hole all the way through but all I have/can find at the moment in a 1/4" for the refill/mech hole is small jobber sized bits and they're about 1" too short.

magpens

Longer bits are indeed available. I bought 1/4" bits 5 inches+ long from Lee Valley and I am pretty sure you can get them from Harbor Freight or Grizzly, but you might have to buy a set of several diameters like I did.

How did you get the small size hole all the way through the length of the blank ? ... or did I misunderstand your statement ?

BTW, I do all my drilling on the lathe .... a bit tricky, especially if you want to change the bore size as for your type of pen.
You have to be able to drill to a particular depth for the larger size and then come in from the other end with the small size.

Getting the axes of the two drilling operations to line up accurately is tricky but it can be done on the lathe.

When you plan for drilling the smaller size, it is better to make a small dimple with a bigger drill bit to make starting the hole easier.
But to do that, you have to plan ahead and make your blank just a little bit longer than you otherwise would and trim to length after both drilling operations are done. Of course, the ends of your blank have to be accurately perpendicular to the blank axis also, otherwise your drill bit will be dragged off center.

Last edited:

BigNick73

How did you get the small size hole all the way through the length of the blank ? ... or did I misunderstand your statement ?

Flipped the blank around... I'm doing these on my metal lathe (hf 8x12); unlike my shop fox mini it's accurate enough I can do that and the holes will meet.

I drill the small one first then flip it around to for the larger one. Bit was long enough that the two holes meet but not long enough to get the tip of the refill out of the end of the blank.

Amazon had some 6" bits for cheap, I'll be able to finish it Wednesday.

Top Bottom