First completed closed end pen! Sweet!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

181098_388716151188456_2050764726_n.jpg

250906_388716194521785_2127689607_n.jpg

This is eastern white cedar. I harvested and cut it into blanks myself. The finish is just 4 coats of thin CA. I kinda figured this is going to be a personal carry item, and I liked the warm, natural look of it after the minimal treatment. I was leery of doing the full high gloss route on the closed-end mandrel as I still have a LOT to learn about that beast. If I wasn't happy with this finish, I would have done it, though. I really liked finding the little knot right there at the top as well. Cedar is a fun one I don't turn often enough. This has been drying since last summer, so most of the cedar smell is gone. Just a faint trace left.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drstrangefart

That's great. To me it's one of your best yet. The finish seems perfect for that timber too! Well done.

Jorge

Thanks! It always surprises me how many different reactions I get to stuff like this. I really wasn't thinking that highly of it. Just wanted the closed end experience to fall back on later when I get to working higher end stuff.

BSea

Closed ended pens are so cool. Nice job. Did you cross cut any of the cedar? It looks really cool, but needs lots of CA to prevent blow outs DAMHIKT.

Drstrangefart

Closed ended pens are so cool. Nice job. Did you cross cut any of the cedar? It looks really cool, but needs lots of CA to prevent blow outs DAMHIKT.

We have some cross-cut stuff. This was grain-cut as I was still trying to fiigure out how to get my bandsaw to act right while dicing logs up. I haven't tried it out yet, but sooner or later I'll get bored enough to try.

Top Bottom