First completed casting....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Janster

Janster

First off, thanks to a few IAP members, Fred, Don, Harvey and Bob and Chris. I was a bit intimidated by the whole process but it seemed worse than what it is! I did not use a PP or VP. I preheated the resin, 1 ounce w/3 drops of MEKP, stir it for a couple of minutes and then pour and pray! I was working in 70° weather and it seemed slow to cure,sooo, into the oven this morning @ 115° for 20 minutes and then out in the yard, direct sunlight for most of the morning. Felt fine, looked great, off to the garage. The pour,

The cured blanks, after oven and sun treatment,

My first completed pen. It is a Special Delivery Stamp from the 40's or 50's.

I turned another along with the first, it too is a Special Delivery Stamp Pen, I combined them for this picture.

..and lastly,one more picture.

Casting is quite fun and not too difficult to do, or else I just got lucky. I have some new themed pens upcoming. C~N~C welcomed. Thanks and be well.....Jan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Nice intro's! And nice job!! NOW! Congratulations on acquiring yet ANOTHER addiction!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: If you were using Castin Craft or Silmar 41, they do not cure quickly. I usually leave mine in the pressure pot for at least 12 hours. They may be finished sooner than that, but why take a chance of pressured bubbles expanding. I've pretty much gone to Alumilite. Usually two hour max.

Last edited:

Mordi

Those look great - especially for the first attempt!

I hope my first one turns out half as good as that :eek:

What is mod podge (sounds like hodge podge :biggrin:) and what is it's purpose?

Mordi

bruce119

First off, thanks to a few IAP members, Fred, Don, Harvey and Bob and Chris. I was a bit intimidated by the whole process but it seemed worse than what it is! I did not use a PP or VP. I preheated the resin, 1 ounce w/3 drops of MEKP, stir it for a couple of minutes and then pour and pray! I was working in 70° weather and it seemed slow to cure,sooo, into the oven this morning @ 115° for 20 minutes and then out in the yard, direct sunlight for most of the morning. Felt fine, looked great, off to the garage. The pour,

Nice job....one thing I see in the mold above is air bubbles on the right side of the mold. This is caused by by air leaking either in from outside the mold or air leaking out from inside the tube. Either way this could lead to a failure. What to do, I fight this almost every time I cast. By the way I use the same "plug" style you use (I make my own). I found that using a light spray of mold release in the mold and on the plugs helps seal them. Then I baby sit for at least the first 10 minutes checking for leaks pushing and seating the plugs as needed. Then check on them for the next hour or two. 3 drops MEKP per once is a good minimum 70 deg. is about as low ambient temp. any lower then that I would put a heat lamp or 60-100 w. light bulb above the mold to add a little heat say between 75-80. Even then expect 12 hr. cure time slower is better. They should be hard but tacky on the surface like you did put them in the sun for about 4 hrs and that should finish them off. Every thing else you did sounds about rite.

Your on your way,
Good luck & Have fun

Janster

Bruce..

"What to do, I fight this almost every time I cast. By the way I use the same "plug" style you use (I make my own). I found that using a light spray of mold release in the mold and on the plugs helps seal them. Then I baby sit for at least the first 10 minutes checking for leaks pushing and seating the plugs as needed. Then check on them for the next hour or two. "

What do you use for the "light spray" of mold release? Thanks...........Jan

bruce119

"What to do, I fight this almost every time I cast. By the way I use the same "plug" style you use (I make my own). I found that using a light spray of mold release in the mold and on the plugs helps seal them. Then I baby sit for at least the first 10 minutes checking for leaks pushing and seating the plugs as needed. Then check on them for the next hour or two. "
What do you use for the "light spray" of mold release? Thanks...........Jan

Jan, I use Mann 200 or Pol-Ease 2300 I like the Mann better it's more waxy and dryer. The Pol-Ease is wetter and greasy but works just fine you don't need to soak it down. What I do for the plugs (I do 60 or more at a time) is put them in a container spray the release into the container and shake it the same time giving the plugs a coating. Let dry for 10 minutes or so. Be careful when handling/inserting your plugs and then tubes. Your fingers will get release on them you DON'T want to get release on the tubes. Oh another thing if your plugs or mold gets built up PR on them you can use acitone to clean them. A lite spray of mold release every time will extend the life of your mold dramactly. I have had several hunderd pulls from my molds. I use Mold Max 30 from Smooth-on.com.

Happy to help your welcome to PM me. (PM is better than email)
Good Luck have fun.

Top Bottom