First color castings.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rick_G

Rick_G

Tried a multi colored cast using pearlex powders. The wife has already claimed it. For some reason the dark purple started to harden before the other two colors so I didn't get the mix I wanted but for a first try I can't complain.

Attachments

• cast.png
    cast.png
    507.5 KB · Views: 287
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ohiococonut

It looks much better than my first multi-color cast. It was just a plain disaster. The problem is I haven't gotten much better yet :frown:

ToddMR

I do sometimes have issues with multi-colors too. I think the result you have looks good though. The colors work together and a nice pen is a result of it. Well done.

Rick_G

Nice Rick, Did you have to reverse paint the blank???

I didn't but I should have. My wife can't see it but I can:frown: My biggest problem in the past with reverse painting a blank is the paint gets scraped off when I put the tube in. Working on a sierra now that I drilled out slightly larger and will use 24 hr epoxy as there will be a little gap filling required. Will see how that works.

firewhatfire

someone once said you could look at resins the same as with clothing darer gets hotter faster. This in theory causes the purple to start gelling faster. dont know for sure yet. Still experimenting that theory

lyeffion

I didn't but I should have. My wife can't see it but I can:frown: My biggest problem in the past with reverse painting a blank is the paint gets scraped off when I put the tube in. Working on a sierra now that I drilled out slightly larger and will use 24 hr epoxy as there will be a little gap filling required. Will see how that works.
I've had really good success with "blackening compound" from Micro Mark. Just scuff your tube, immerse it in the compound, remove and dry with paper towel. It turns the tube a satin black which will not come off.

Top Bottom